Friday, December 11, 2015

I would Walk 500 Miles

. . . and I would walk 600 more.

If you follow us on Instagram, you may have already seen our exciting news. Last night, Barley and I met our goal of walking 1100 miles this year. I thought it was going to take another day because we needed 3.6 miles yesterday to complete it and I had trouble getting myself out the door early enough to get that all in before dark--but we walked quickly and by the time we got back to our entrance to the apartment complex, I saw we only needed .4 miles to go. If we walked to the other entrance to the complex, it would give us exactly .4 miles, so I texted my sister and mom and told them we were walking in the dark and to alert the authorities if they didn't hear from us again (it's good to have a sister who always has your back when you "adventure") and off we went.


We've been MIA the last couple weeks. First, my sister and my nephew dog were visiting for Thanksgiving, so I decided to spend a few days enjoying time with them and then the next Friday I went to Cleveland to see an exhibit on Monet and his contemporaries, including my very favorite artist, Matisse, and dream of going back to Southern France. Now that the semester is winding down (I just have 5 sets of finals to grade starting next week), I'm hoping that we can get back to a regular schedule. But until then, here are some highlights of our last few weeks of walking.


Barley's cousin is a sweet--sometimes grumpy--older guy, but he loves adventuring, so we made sure to take him on a few different adventures over Thanksgiving weekend. First up was the State Park so he could see Lake Erie. Over the summer, he stuck his toes in the lake--I think he was happy it was too cold out for us to encourage that this time.



Then we hit the arboretum to take some holiday pictures of the dogs in their Christmas bandanas. My nephew pup is a more challenging model to work with than my little camera hog and my sister and I were bundled up in so many layers that I'm looking a little like the Pillsbury Doughboy, but despite the challenges we managed to get a few fun pictures.




Barley and I have also been walking around to enjoy the decorations the town has put up. This year, they got all new decorations for the downtown area. I'm a little bummed because they used to put a Santa hat on the clocktower each year and I loved that, but it's not there this year. There are still a lot of fun decorations up, though.



The best adventure we've had since my sister and Maddux left, though, has been Barley's birthday party. My baby girl turned 6 on Wednesday--I had to work, but I got home early enough that we could go up to the lake for a nice long walk before it got dark, something we haven't done during the week in a while. Barley was so excited to be out of the neighborhood and it was almost 50 degrees, so it wasn't too cold to add a nice beach stroll onto our normal trail walk. It was getting close to sunset and it was a cloudy day on top of that, so it made for some really cool pictures of the sky over the lake.






So far in December, we've walked 27.99 miles, which is a little less than our daily average for the rest of the year, but we're still calling it a victory. This weekend it's supposed to be in the 60s (what?!), so we're hoping for some more lovely walks and can't wait to see what our total mileage for the year ends up being now that we've met our goal!

We've missed you all and are happy to be back to the FitDog Friday!


14 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats on making your mileage goal... and with weeks to spare! Especially love your last set of photos on the rocks. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those photos are some of my favorites of her, too!

      Delete
  2. Well done! Whoa! Good job on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOunds like you've been busy. Happy Birthday Barley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have definitely been staying on the go!

      Delete
  4. Yay! Congrats on making your goal. Beach trips are the best for birthdays! I think we're going to try to take the dogs later this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beach trips are great! I usually avoid the beach part of the park at this time of year because I'm a baby and don't like the cold air blowing off the lake, so it was nice to have lovely weather for it.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on meeting your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! Congrats on meeting your goal and happy birthday to Bar! We had a great time with you! Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley hopes that Maddux has been practicing his modeling so that Christmas tree photos go smoothly ;)

      Delete
  7. Huge congratulations to you and Barley, and Happy Belated Birthday to her!
    That is quite an impressive accomplishment, and it looks like you've been enjoying yourself out there too.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Our December walks have been much more enjoyable than they have been the last few years.

      Delete