Friday, February 19, 2016

Surprise Snow Day

Our weather has continued to be wacky for the last week. We had several very, very cold days at the beginning of the week. Work is getting more time consuming since papers have started to come in, so we haven't had as much time to get several short little walks in each day. Between fewer walks and packing up the apartment, Barley's been losing her mind.

Accuweather.com has been getting my hopes up for snow days all winter and then letting me down. I've tried putting a cotton ball under my pillow (a trick a local friend told me about) and contemplating sleeping with my pajamas on inside out (another trick from a different local friend--this southern girl is learning so much about snow!). But no matter how many inches of snow the winter weather warnings predict, I wake up and find next to nothing.

On Monday, Accuweather predicted 6-10 inches of snow, but by the time I went to bed, there was no snow falling from the sky and I was certain there was no hope of a snow day. To my surprise, at 5:50 a.m. my phone rang to announce that morning classes were canceled. I reset my alarm for a little later than usual since that meant my first class was canceled. By the time I'd finished rearranging the course schedule and getting ready to head to campus for the second class, I got the call that afternoon classes were canceled.

Despite the snow, it was still 30 degrees, so Barley and I took advantage of my surprise free time to take a nice walk and have some playtime at the ball park down the street.


Pirates pitchers and catchers have reported--we're ready for baseball season!

We took our 50-foot line down with us, so that we could toss a ball around. Barley was so excited to have a chance to just run and play in the snow. We can't do that in our little yard space anymore because our neighbors got a small dog and since he's still being potty trained, they take him out all the time and I can't have Barley on such a long line when there's a chance of him coming out, so there's been very little snow play in our yard this winter.


The snow was deep as our last snowfall hadn't melted before this one came, so we had a challenge keeping up with the ball at times (luckily, I'd brought a bright green one). Barley decided that it was fun to drop the ball in the deepest snow she could find, then run around kicking snow up over it, and then looking at me to uncover the ball. I spent a lot of our time at the park kicking snow around trying to find the ball and Barley just smiled and wagged until she could start the process all over again.




Yesterday, I woke up and my phone said it was 3 degrees, so it was back to another day of short walks. We didn't get a much walking as I'd hoped in this week, but we did have a great snowy play day. We're holding out hope that the predictions for 40+ degree days next week come true!



15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Barley loves snow, too. I never knew it was fun before I had her :)

      Delete
  2. Hope you get some nicer weather - what fun to have that field of snow to romp in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're supposed to have almost 50 degrees and sunny tomorrow, so we'll definitely be getting out and enjoying that!

      Delete
  3. Yay! That looks like so much fun! I love snow! Barley is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say I love snow--but I definitely enjoyed it this week :)

      Delete
  4. It supposed to be almost 60 this weekend here! I can't wait! Glad you guys got to have some fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for snow days! It looks like Barley had a blast. We got a little snow last night, just a couple inches, but the dogs are happily out playing in it now with Dad. It's supposed to get warmer again so it probably won't last though. What a crazy winter, I'm ready for spring. With our luck we'll finally get a big snowstorm...on the day we're moving. LOL
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lot of fun. This has been mostly a disappointing winter here with far too warm temps and lots of ice. We want the cold and snow, but El Nino had other plans. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun snowy play day! Barley must have figured you needed a new game... teaching you to play Find It!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's 65 here in NC today! Just in time for the weekend :-) Barley must have been a tired, happy trooper after your snow fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our weather is wacky too. I wish it would just make up its mind!

    I'm glad to see you took advantage of the surprise free time, I bet you both needed it desperately.

    ReplyDelete