Friday, February 12, 2016

WinterFest Fun

Last weekend, I'd gotten my coffee brewed, gotten my stack of grading, and settled in on the couch when I remembered it was WinterFest weekend in our town. Most of the activities are more family/kid-oriented, but on Friday nights, they have ice sculpting downtown. I knew the temperature was going to raise above freezing on Saturday, so I chugged my coffee, put on walking clothes, and rushed Barley out the door.

Many of the smaller sculptures had already started to melt and lose some of their definition. There was a lighthouse that had one of those small electric "candles" that you can switch on--I wish that I'd been able to see it at night! The biggest ice sculpture was still hanging in there, though, and I was glad because I love penguins! (Seriously, I elbowed my way through crowds of small children to be able to get inside the penguin viewing tube at the Georgia Aquarium--and usually I do my best to avoid interactions with children.)


We'd checked out some of the snowmen from the snowmen decorating contest a couple weeks ago, but a few more had gone up since then, so it was fun to get a chance to view a few more. 




We'll miss being in walking distance of things like this when we move, but luckily there's plenty of free parking downtown and we'll just be a short drive away.  

Even though WinterFest was plagued by some warm weather and the ice sculptures were gone before the weekend was over, Wednesday brought about a foot of snow in less than two hours. I wasn't so happy to see the snow since I was at work instead of snuggled up with the pets when it hit, but Barley was excited to get out for a good romp. 



Hope that everyone else has been enjoying some winter fun. I'm still holding out hope that the groundhog was right and we'll be seeing an early spring, though!


22 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day out! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun day out and about! Hope you have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Me too :) It's fun to see what they come up with every year!

      Delete
  3. I love that penguin sculpture. We were at the ice rink last year and there was someone carving a sculpture in front us of which was neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I bet that was cool to see. I haven't made it out to watch the sculpting in progress yet, but someday!

      Delete
  4. Our winter carnival was a disaster with warm weather too. Most of the ice and snow sculptures melted. I had planned to visit and take photos, but it wasn't to be. Glad Barley was able to enjoy the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you missed out on winter carnival fun! If ours had been one week later, it would have been perfect winterfest weather.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure your new city will have fun things, too! Glad Bar had a fun time in the snow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't decorate like our city now does--but there are plenty of other interesting things we'll be able to walk by like the Underground Railroad House.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Aren't they? Barley wanted to lick them, but she settled for just posing with them :)

      Delete
  7. Love the ice sculptures... I love penguins too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penguins are just such cheerful little creatures it's hard not to smile when you see them!

      Delete
  8. I'm pretty jealous of actually having winter. I love those ice sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I'm getting a little tired of having winter, but it is fun to have things like this to look forward to when it's cold.

      Delete
  9. I've never seen live ice sculptures, but I really want to! I suppose I'll have to travel somewhere a little colder than here in NC ;-) These past 2 weeks have been plenty cold though (ranging between 17-33 F).

    It sure looks like Barley had a blast running around in the snow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until last year, I'd never seen a live ice sculpture either! They are pretty neat. Hope you've had a chance to warm up a bit in NC!

      Delete
  10. We were sub zero temperatures this last weekend, and I don't like that one bit! But it is warming up today and by tomorrow night it might be raining!
    I was going to ask you if you were still going to be in your same town when you move. I'm glad to hear you are still close because I think you have such a fun little town!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have a fun little town, too! I wanted to stay in this town, but the houses available here just aren't houses that work for us, so we'll just have to hop in the car to enjoy all of the festivals now. Hope your weather has improved this week!

      Delete
  11. We were below freezing this past weekend. Then we went from 32 degrees to 55 degrees in a matter of hours. This weather is crazy. I sure hope that dang ground hog is right!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather's been doing the same thing! It would be nice if it would pick one so I had a chance to commit to a wardrobe and thermostat setting for more than a few hours at a time ;)

      Delete