Thursday, March 3, 2016

Barley the Musical

When I was in college, the movie version of Rent came out and my friends and I watched it over and over again, taking turns singing along to different parts. At that moment, I wished my life was a musical and people would just randomly burst into song throughout my days.

Last night, as I got ready to feed Barley her dinner, I found myself singing, "If you want to be my dinner, you've gotta get in my bowl" (that's how that Spice Girls song goes, right?) and I realized that my life really is like a musical--with a cast of one human. 

Sing it again!

Barley and I started off our relationship on a musical note. Garth Brooks' christmas album has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid, especially the song "The Gift" about a poor orphan girl named Maria--so when I adopted a poor orphan dog whose shelter name was Maria, the fist thing I did was call my mom to sing, "A poor orphan dog named Maria was in a cage at the APL." There are several other Maria songs that have been added to the soundtrack over the years as well.


Regularly, I find myself singing The Eli Young Band's "Crazy Girl" and reminding Barley that "I wouldn't dream of going nowhere." Or, I remind myself that "I don't want easy, I want crazy" by singing a little Hunter Hayes. On agility nights, I often sing Barley a little Miranda on the drive in to remind her to hide her crazy "and start acting like a lady." 


Then there are the songs where I just insert her name into it. Like Justin Bieber's "Baby": "like Barley, Barley, Barley nooo. Like Barley, Barley, Barley oooh." Or sections of songs that seem applicable to her life, like part of LMFAO's "Sexy and I Know It": "Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah. Do the wiggle man. . . . Girl look at that Barley."


Soth gets in on the musical moments throughout the day, too. When he's restless, I pet him and sing, "I see the moon, the moon sees me, the moon sees some bunny I want to see." I regularly make him dance with me while I sing parts of Disney's Beauty and the Beast: "There's something sweet and almost kind, but he was mean and he was coarse and unrefined." Or sometimes I squeeze him while I sing our adaptation of "I Love": "I love coffee in a cup, little fuzzy cats, bourbon in a glass, and grass. And I love you, too."

Every day when I leave for work, that love of the Rent sound track comes back as I embrace my inner  Mimi and sing, "Just came to say goodbye, love, goodbye, love, goodbye, love, goodbye" to the pets as I gather my stuff and head out the door. I'm certain at least one of my neighbors has caught the tail end of this while I've been locking the front door.

It's not exactly what I had in mind when I wished for my life to be a musical, but I can imagine a better soundtrack for my days.

Do your pets bring out the musical side of you? What are the best songs on your pet's life soundtrack?

Be sure to check out all of the other great blogs in Thursday's Barks and Bytes hosted by Heart like a Dog and 2 Brown Dawgs.



Heart Like a Dog


8 comments:

  1. I love how you sing to your pets, and the large repertoire of songs you have! Did you miss your calling - maybe you should be an actress/singer, starring in musicals? :)
    My pets usually look at me like I'm nuts when I start singing to them. One of my favorites is "Brown Eyed Girl" which I change to "boy" and sing to Luke quite often because I love his big brown eyes. I often make up little songs too, like one I call "Fishy, fishy" that I sing to Sam when giving her fish flavored treats. People would definitely think I was nuts if they could hear me!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make up lots of songs, too! It will be such a relief when I'm not sharing walls with a neighbor and don't have to worry about whether someone will be calling the looney bin if the sound travels through the walls! I love "Brown Eyed Girl"--it's perfect for Luke!

      Delete
  2. I sing to my guys all the time. Mostly though I just make up tunes and words myself. LOL Wouldn't life be cool if people just randomly burst into song?

    Thank you for joining the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think people should just burst into song randomly! Soth probably wishes it happened less often than it does, but Barley seems to embrace it.

      Delete
  3. Barley is seriously the cutest dog! <3

    LOL! I do the same thing with my pets and I regularly make Pandora dance with me to different songs. She doesn't love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soth is not a fan of dancing either, but I have a whole song I made up about dancing with Barley--she is always up for a musical moment.

      Delete
  4. Your pets are sure lucky. They have a soundtrack to their lives. Mine would demand I stop singing to them...lol. Thanks so much for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Soth thinks that the music needs to stop, but Barley embraces it.

      Delete