Friday, March 11, 2016

Changes for Barley

Last Friday, I closed on my house. After an hour of signing my name 10,000 times and a few hours of waiting for the title to transfer, I got the keys to the house and rushed over to unload a few boxes from my car and then run home to pick up Barley and take her over to see her new house.

We got there just in time to take a sunset walk in our new neighborhood. I think it's safe to say we couldn't love our new walking route more. I will never complain about being able to walk beside the lake every single day. 


After a quick stroll to get a little of the crazy out, we went back to the house, Barley could actually check out her yard and the inside of the house.



Once we got inside, the crazy Barley I was expecting came out. She had to patrol every single room, sniffing along each wall, before moving on to the next one.


The patrolling was followed by some serious zoomies from one room to the next and up the stairs and down the stairs and up the stairs again. 



Once she worked out the crazy, she was ready for the official tour of the house. We started with the basement (because I finally have my own laundry room!!! and had 3000 loads of laundry to sort). Barley discovered that she has her very own dog shower in the basement. Bath time is going to be so much easier now.


Barley also found her gym. Right now, it's just a big empty room that we can toss toys around in, but for Christmas or her adoption day anniversary, she's going to get some shock absorbing flooring (shhh! we'll have to keep this a secret for a while!) so that in the winter (and the months we wait to save money for a fence) we can set up a couple jumps down there.


We also tested out the laundry chute in both bathrooms and then raced back down to the basement to see if the socks we dropped in made it down there. They did.


Barley found the master bedroom closet (a.k.a. thunderstorm central where Barley will have a bed set up so she can retreat in any scary storms). 

And this is only half! of the closet.

We've been spending a few hours a day  at the house so that it can be all ready for painting when my mom and aunt arrive next weekend to help with that project. Barley still isn't complete sure what to think. She's quit with the zoomies, but she still isn't completely relaxed. I took her mat over (her crate is way too big and heavy to tote back and forth each day--and there isn't room in the car for Barley and the crate, even when it's folded up), but she hasn't been too interested in relaxing on it.


So far, she's been doing an excellent job with walks in the new neighborhood, though. We went back to using our "I Need Space" leash while our new neighbors get to know us, and we've been going through lots of treats to make sure each encounter she has with a barking dog in a yard is a happy one.


I'm hoping that she'll start relaxing inside the house soon, too, because we have several more days of wallpaper removal ahead of us.

Not really my style.



We hope that everyone is having a happy FitDog Friday and enjoying the great outdoors a little extra for us while we're working on Operation Wallpaper Removal. We'll be making the rounds to see what fun you've had this week a little later than usual so that I have something fun to look forward to after today's housework! 



14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new home. Hope you enjoy the painting and fixing up projects. It's nice you can do that before you actually move in. As for the signing, when you sell, there's barely anything to sign, so it all balances out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know that enjoy is word I'd use--but it is fun to be able to put my own touch on things!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations - such a fun time to get a new place and turn it into a home. I'm sure Barley will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exciting to see what she thinks once all of her stuff is actually there!

      Delete
  3. That looks like a terrific place and it looks like Barley loves it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves it as long as I'm paying attention to her and playing--when it's time for her to relax, she's not entirely sure about it yet.

      Delete
  4. I am just SO excited for you! Your house is so cute, and it has so many excellent features for Barley! I love your idea of the master closet being a place for thunderstorms...I'm going to try the same thing for our crew (thanks for the idea). Luke usually goes downstairs to the basement here during storms, so I want him to find a place in the new house to feel safe (the basement isn't very good...it's a very old house). Being close to the lake...Barley having her own shower and gym...wow, you must be so excited to get the projects done and move in! Barley will probably settle down more once you get all your stuff in there too, but being able to bring her there ahead of time has to be such a big help.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm exciting for you, too! I'll be sending you good luck vibes at the end of the week! I hope that your crew enjoys the closet haven, too--Barley prefers places without windows, so I figured if she has a spot in the closet she'll feel safe and maybe I'll be able to refrain from buying more shoes if I have her zone there taking up some of the room :)

      Delete
  5. What a cute house. I am sure you all will settle right in. I wish they still put laundry chutes in homes. We had one in the house I grew up in but new homes don't have them. I guess because we have a first floor laundry....lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so excited about the laundry chute--my aunt has one in her house, but it's basically a hole in the floor of a closet, so I was excited to have an actual chute!

      Delete
  6. You've made such great progress! I'm sure once you have your stuff in it she will start to relax :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope so--or she might be finding herself in your car the next time you visit ;)

      Delete
  7. THAT is so exciting, I can't wait until you finish making it your own, you'll share pictures won't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The master bedroom and the kitchen are done (minus hanging things on the wall in the bedroom), but I reached my painting quota for this quarter and will not be picking up a paint brush again for a little while!

      Delete