Friday, March 4, 2016

Maintaining Sanity

This year has started out much more hectic than I ever imagined it would be. Last week, my realtor called and told me that everything was in place and we could move the closing date up. On Monday, the loan officer at my mortgage company said we were all set to close TODAY.

The major moving won't happen until later this month because that seems like a good spring break activity, but it still meant there were plenty of things that had to happen immediately.

First, I took a long time browsing different Etsy shops looking for the perfect ID tags for Barley and Soth. Barley will be getting her teeth cleaned at the vet while the movers take things out of the apartment and put them into the new house, but Soth will be shut in a bathroom at the new house during the process. I don't want to take any chances of us not being able to reunite if a mover accidentally opens the bathroom door and Soth bolts out. Thankfully, the shop Stamped by Colleen got Soth's tag stamped and shipped the day I ordered it and it arrived already!


I spent a lot of time on the phone with different utility companies (thank you to my electric company who let me start service online without talking to a human being!). Luckily, I have a dog that demands attention and reminds me to take breaks. When I called the water company, I got a recording that said, "We're experiencing a higher volume of calls than usual. Please visit our website for more information or call back later." Then it hung up on me. I tried again and got the same message. It seemed like a good time to go for a walk with my Barley girl. We did a little loop around the neighborhood and I was prepared for my third try with the water company where I first talked to a machine, which then sat there in silence for two minutes--I actually checked my phone to make sure I hadn't been disconnected--before telling me it was putting me on hold for 12-15 minutes, so I could talk to a human being.

The packing has continued and Barley still hasn't gotten used to it. She's still staring at every single box and trying to gnaw on them if I turn my back on her.

This is not the face of a happy dog.

Barley also tried to help with getting the new bedding for the new guest room out of its package. She wanted to be sure she was the first to test it out. Unfortunately, I had to tell her that it's staying in the packaging until it goes to the new house to be washed.

Foxes, Owls, and Books! Three of my favorite things!

Luckily, we had agility where Barley got a chance to run around and get some of the crazy out. We were back to the jump-treat-jump-treat-jump-treat method for the first couple of turns, but she eventually settled down and got focused and we had a really productive night. Our trainer praised us for doing so well when Barley's whole world is upside down right now (it's nice to have our regular trainer back!).

And I had a chance to unwind when I saw that the grocery store had the new Great Lakes variety pack--which included two IPAs I've never tried before and pairs very well with packing.


By the way, it's really hard to take a good picture of a beer! I knew this before, but I just assumed nobody could do it--until I saw Jen's pictures every week for her Barks 'n Brews posts and they are all amazing. (How do you do it?! Besides having handsome Leroy in the pictures, of course!) 

Despite the stress, we had a really great walking week. We got in 23.12 miles this week and are only two miles behind schedule--that's the closest we've ever been to staying on schedule this early in the year! (Thanks, Mother Nature, for the mild winter!) We might not have gone anywhere special for those miles, but since they're some of the last miles we'll get in this neighborhood, that's ok. I'm so thankful to have my Barley girl by my side while I'm working through all of the adventures that come with buying a house. Happy FitDog Friday everyone!



20 comments:

  1. Good for you still getting your walk in amid the chaos - important for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've been getting lots of extra steps from packing things, but Barley just curls up and stares at me, so it's extra important to get her out for walks.

      Delete
  2. Wow! You've got a lot going on. The routine of agility and walks is great for both your sanity and Barley's! Congrats on closing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley thrives on routine, so I'm trying to keep it as consistent as possible!

      Delete
  3. Moving is so irritating. Hopefully it will all be worth it once you settle in though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth it! I'm cutting my commute down from 20 minutes to 5, so I'll get an extra 30 minutes a day with my girl and we'll have our very own house we can do anything we want to :)

      Delete
  4. My mom is a Realtor and she says to be thankful your closing got moved up because 99% of the time it is pushed back which is not fun. Mom has moved so many times in her life it is no big deal, she can pack up a house in a day blind folded. You will get through it and it will be so fun having your own home! Congratulations...and remember to keep walking to reduce stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my fifth move (not counting moving out of dorms every summer in college), so packing isn't much of a problem--finding the time to do it between the rest of life is the challenge :) We are so excited to have our very own place!

      Delete
  5. I may be late to the party here, but have you heard of The Kitty Convict Project?
    http://www.explodingkittens.com/kittyconvict

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh. I love this. Brigette, Brandi, and I were just talking on Instagram the other day about how this tag might ruin Soth's street cred, so turning him into a convict might help him get some of that back ;)

      Delete
  6. Awe, poor Barley! Moving is so tough! Good luck with everything and I hope it goes smoothly! At least agility was fun, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We picked up the keys today, so now the real fun begins ;)

      Delete
  7. That bedding is super cute. Where did you get it? I hate moving. And now that we've settled down in one spot for a while, we have so much stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from Kohls.com. They were having a big sale a couple weekends ago and I am a bit obsessed with owls and foxes and then when I saw the books, I knew I had to have it. I've been in this apartment for 6 years and I'm just now realizing how much stuff I've crammed into it!

      Delete
  8. Yay! I'm so excited to see your house!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for you to see it, too! There's a paint brush with your name on it ;)

      Delete
  9. I can imagine you must have freaked out when you got that phone call - I know I would have! But I'm glad for you that you are still able to stick to your original schedule for moving. You've got great plans in place for the pets. Congratulations on your new home, and good luck with the move (so you'll still be moving around the same time we will?).
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was equal parts freak out and excitement that I could start tearing down wallpaper (of course, that excitement has waned now that I've actually started taking down wallpaper). I'll be updating on Barley's reaction to the new house soon! We will still be moving around the same time! I have a huge event at work on the 18th, so we'll finish packing everything over the weekend and then movers will come that Monday to empty the apartment and load up the house--and we'll be sending you lots of good luck vibes that weekend, too!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your new house! Moving tends to be stressful, so it's a good thing Miss Barley gets you out into the fresh air to relax a little :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She has been excellent at reminding me to take breaks from the wallpaper removal I started and our new neighborhood couldn't be more perfect for walking!

      Delete