Friday, April 1, 2016

A FitDog Finale

I can't begin to express how sad I was when I came back from our moving hiatus only to see that this will be the last FitDog Friday Blog Hop. FitDog Friday has been a staple in our lives for years now--it was the very first Blog Hop I joined and the majority of my blog friends have come from these Fridays.

We've learned a lot from so many different people. We've been cheered on  during our yearly resolution challenges. We've celebrated each other's victories and supported each other through failures. It seems  like we're losing an integral part of our weekly routine.

But it also seems fitting that as Barley and I are starting our new chapter of fitness routines in our new home that this chapter of our fitness lives is ending.

Some things in our fitness routine will stay the same. We'll still go to agility class every week. Barley's grandma got to come to class with us for the first time and see how well Barley does in a class setting. This consistency at the same time every week helps Barley stay sane. She's a creature of habit and thrives on seeing the same people and dogs at the same time in the same place. 

video



We'll still take regular walks. But those walks are in a different place now with new sights and sounds and smells. There are new dogs to watch for. There are new spots to stop for photos. We're quickly learning where to cross the street to avoid e-fences, which streets to avoid to stay away from loose dogs, which houses leave cat food out on the sidewalk. And we're loving the ability to take sunset walks every night.

We can walk down and look at the coal conveyor.

We can visit a Hulett, which was used to unload freighters in the Harbor.



We'll still do noseworks, but now we have a whole new environment to practice with. On Easter, I made sure to set up an egg hunt for Barley in the new yard. I figured there was no need to hide the fact that a crazy dog lady has moved into the neighborhood from my new neighbors, but I can only imagine what they thought when they saw me setting up an egg hunt and then I brought a dog out into the yard!


The more consistent our fitness routine gets, the more relaxed Barley is getting in her new home. She's still not completely comfortable, but as they say, a tired dog is a good dog and she's getting into less and less mischief each day.

We'll miss the FitDog Friday family, but we'll still have plenty of FitDog stories to share--they just might not show up only on Fridays anymore. Thank you to our hosts--SlimDoggy, To Dog With Love, and My GBGV Life--for helping us find motivation to stay fit, especially To Dog With Love because we first found FitDog Friday when Rocco was teaching us "paws up" and we might not have survived that winter without practicing that trick!




12 comments:

  1. Don't worry about your neighbors. You can only imagine what they think of my mom and us! We are always doing odd stuff in the yard, but after they get over the shock, they find us all really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not worried about them at all :) For the first two weeks I owned my house, the only "furniture" in it was one of Barley's jumps and one of her beds, so I established my crazy dog lady status pretty early on.

      Delete
  2. I am sad about the Fit Dog Friday hop, too! It's awesome that you and Barley are having new adventures in your new neighborhood and that it's helping Barley to calm down! I hope she settles in soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day she seems a little more settled than the day before, so we're just trying to get our routine as consistent as possible for the near future :)

      Delete
  3. Awww, we're so glad to be a part of your fitness, and fun, goals! We'll still be here and hope you stop by. We want to hear about what you're up to as well! Loved seeing your agility video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll definitely still be stopping by! I love reading about Rocco's hiking and agility adventures. It was fun having my mom in class so she could take some video (and see her grandpup in action!).

      Delete
  4. It's great to see that you're settling into some new routines, along with keeping some of the old ones. New places to walk is so fun! We're kind of doing the same. Our yard to play in is smaller, but we still play when I get home from work and then a couple times per day on other days. We need to get back to some training soon too though, but we're getting there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that your crew is able to keep some of our routine, too! I'm so looking forward to seeing what new places to explore came with your new home!

      Delete
  5. We don't have a yard... but I'm pretty sure the neighbors would think we were crazy too. Like when we were playing "find it!" with a tooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least dog people are the best kind of crazy, right? :)

      Delete
  6. I loved the agility video. I sure miss doing that with Delilah and I love that you are embracing your crazy dog lady and doing an egg hunt for the dog. I wish I'd done it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too late to do an egg hunt--it will just make the neighbors really think you're a crazy dog lady doing one a month after Easter's over!

      Delete