Thursday, April 7, 2016

Bonnie and Clyde

It took a long time for Soth to tolerate his sister. I was never actually sure that he'd grow to like her. Of course, I wanted them to be one of those pairs of unlikely animal friends, but after the first few months of being a multi-pet home, I changed my expectations and decided that if they could peacefully co-habitate, that was good enough for me. If they were happing pretending the other one didn't exist, that would have to be ok.

Our first family photo--11 months after Barley joined the family. Soth took it under duress.
I'm pretty sure Soth has tried to poison his sister. Since Barley has never once taken anything off the top of my dresser--including packages of dog treats that I use to lure her to her side of the bed every night, I'm almost certain that Soth is the one that knocked the bottle of Aleve off the dresser leading Barley to give them a little sample in her second self-poisoning attempt. Knowing Soth, this was his attempt to off his sister.

Somewhere in our 5+ years together, they started to become not necessarily friends, but siblings. Once, someone told me "If she wasn't my sister, I'm not sure we'd be friends" and I'm pretty sure Barley and Soth could relate to this statement. If the universe hadn't made them siblings, they probably wouldn't choose to hang out with each other, but since they are stuck under the same roof, they may as well make the best of it.

Now these two are the biggest co-conspirators there are.

On Tuesday, I was taking a much needed nap before I got back to lesson planning. Shortly after I fell asleep, I heard a crash from downstairs. Barley was with me, so I knew it was just the world's hangriest cat trying to tell me his bowl was empty. Since nothing breakable has been unpacked yet, I decided to just ignore it and I fell fast asleep. 

When I woke up, my hair was a tangled mess and I decided to attempt to brush it out before I took Barley for a walk. (The downside of moving closer to works mean that I'm now in an area where I'm  more likely to run into students and co-workers, so I figured I shouldn't walk with a rat's nest on the side of my head.)

Sometime between falling fast asleep and finishing brushing out my hair, Barley ventured downstairs. When I got downstairs, I found a very empty treat container in the living room.

This was about 2/3 full before nap time.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened--I have a hard time believing Barley could inhale almost a pound of jerky in the short amount of time I brushed my hair, but I also have a hard time believing that she'd make it all the way downstairs (she sounds like a herd of elephants going down the stairs) without waking me up. I know it wasn't Soth because I've offered him bites of these treats before and he turns his nose up at them. 

I decided Barley wasn't going to get dinner (except for a few kibbles in her bowl so she wouldn't be begging for food all night long). Shortly after making that decision, I caught the pet siblings conspiring in the hallway beside Barley's bowl. 


I am pretty sure Barley was trying to convince Soth to help her get something else to eat.

Things work both ways with these pets. Tonight, Barley decided to steal a snack out of one of the bags of pantry items I have in my basement while I finish painting a couple more shelves to go in my cabinets. I came out of the laundry room and couldn't find Barley in the basement where she'd been moments before. 

I went up to the living room and found her on her bed--with a packet of taco seasoning. She didn't seem that excited by it and put up no fuss when I took it away.



But my little New Mexican kitty was thrilled. He started rolling around the bed and purring like crazy. (This is the same cat that licked my plants clean after I read that sprinkling plants with chili powder would keep cats from eating them.)


They might not be friends, but Barley and Soth are definitely partners in crime.

Heart Like a Dog

Be sure to visit all of the great blogs participating in Barks and Bytes today hosted by Heart Like a Dog and 2 Brown Dawgs!






8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that is funny. I would have never thought a cat would like taco seasoning. Thanks for the laugh and thanks for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have thought so, either! But he was on the streets of Santa Fe before I adopted him and every restaurant there asks if you want red or green chile on your food, so maybe he just got a taste for southwestern flavors ;)

      Delete
  2. They definitely look like they are up to no good in those photos together! LOL
    Who would have thought a cat would like taco seasoning? How did the orange look on his white fur? :)
    We once had a cat who would get up on top of the refrigerator and knock the magnets off the side, so the dog could then chew on them!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny! I'm glad my pets aren't the only ones who help each other get into trouble.

      Luckily, I discovered Barley before she got too much seasoning everywhere, so Soth didn't get too orange, but he sure was happy.

      Delete
  3. Haha, silly pets. Good luck with those two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed at the taco seasoning. I don't know which was funnier, Barley not wanting it, or Soth wanting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These two definitely keep me on my toes!

      Delete