Friday, April 15, 2016

Make New Friends

Our university has started a new healthy living initiative that encourages employees to get up and move throughout the work day. On Fridays, some of my coworkers get together and take a 20 minute walk around campus. I'm not usually on campus on Fridays since I use that day to grade for online classes from the couch, but now that I've moved closer to work and the weather (at least for today) is gorgeous, I checked with the group to see if they'd like a 4-legged companion for today's walk.

I was a little nervous about the outing because this hasn't been our best week ever between the poisoning, then Barley scratching my newly painted kitchen walls in an attempt to see the neighbor dogs out the window, followed by Barley chasing a squirrel while on her long lead which resulted in my fingernail being bent back and my hand being covered in blood and Barley going on a short solo adventure when the leash flew out of my hand.  It was hard to imagine a new adventure going smoothly.

Since we hadn't walked down to campus yet, I wasn't sure exactly how long it would take, so we left extra early and took a quick loop around the campus ourselves. Then we had about 10 minutes to wait for my coworkers, so we did some relaxation exercises in front of the building.


It was a beautiful, sunshiny day--not the best for selfie taking.

Barley was incredible. She greeted the large group of people 8 people calmly and let them pet her and hug her and tell her how sweet she was. Then she trotted along right beside with a perfectly loose leash as we walked and talked with the group. As the group started splitting off to go back to their various offices, Barley was a little concerned about her "flock" breaking up and kept watching after each person. One of the administrative assistants commented on how amazing it was to see her instincts kicking in as she kept looking at each person and trying to keep track of everyone even though she'd just met them.

The outing was heaven to Barley. She had a whole group of people to fawn over her and not another dog in sight. She was so comfortable and relaxed the entire walk. With the walk to and from campus plus the walk around campus, we ended up with a little over 4-miles for the adventure. Between that and the 65-degree weather, Barley was one tired camper by the time we got home. She sprawled on the couch and let me get some grading done without making me get up to chase her away from the cat food.


We went out and did a little yard work later in the afternoon, but I'm a little wary of pushing her too hard this week after the baker's chocolate incident, so we stuck to one long walk instead of adding on to our mileage with a second walk. Barley seemed content to spend the rest of day in the yard with me and watching birds with her brother.

Soth's tail was moving like a snake as he watched the robins.

Barley and I are looking forward to more walks with my coworkers in the coming weeks. It's fun to see Barley enjoying a walk so much and for a dog who prefers the company of people there's not a better environment for her than this!

Happy weekend everyone! Hope you're all getting to enjoy a little bit of spring this weekend, too!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! I'm glad you guys got to end the week on a good note :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It was a good end to a rough week!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a really good way to end your week on a positive note. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad she showed my co-workers that I have good reason for being a crazy dog lady instead of making them wonder how I could ever be so crazy over such a naughty dog ;)

      Delete
  3. After a tough week, I'm glad to see you still got out there to try something new. It sounds like you've found a great new routine that both you and Barley can enjoy!
    We are finally getting some of that beautiful weather here too!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beautiful weather does help eliminate some stress, doesn't it? I shouldn't have worried since Barley loves people, so I knew she'd be a total ham and soak up all of the attention she could get ;)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful thing to be able to do with Barley! Our university has a similar program, plus a monthly monetary bonus to all who get a certain amount of exercise. But I love the idea of getting exercise, socializing Barley, and getting to know your co-workers better all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A monthly monetary bonus sounds awesome--I always get really excited when I find a dollar bill along the sidewalk and it feels like I'm getting paid to walk since I already enjoy that part of our day so much. Having that happen monthly would be even more exciting ;)

      All of my co-workers this week have been stopping by to ask how Barley is, so I think she's officially more popular on campus than I am!

      Delete
  5. It sounds heavenly. I'm glad it all went well, and I'm sure that made you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barely definitely thought it was heavenly! She's much better at being the center of attention than I ever have been :)

      Delete