Saturday, April 30, 2016

My Friends Know My Dog Better Than I Do

The other day, my friend came over. Barley, of course, alerted me to her arrival as soon as her car pulled into the driveway, so I opened the door before she made it all the way up the front steps.

As she walked in the door, she said, "Oh! I want to hear what your doorbell sounds like!" (The novelty of my house hasn't worn off for any of us yet!) Barley danced around and then pounced on her to smother her with kisses and dog hair while I recounted a story that happened earlier in the week.

Barley and I had been snuggling on the couch and she was fast asleep. Someone came to the door and rang the doorbell. Barley popped up and flew over the back of the couch. Then she ran to the backdoor. Once I stopped laughing, I took the opportunity to open the front door while she was distracted. 

When I told my friend the story, she said, "Oh, Barley! The front door isn't behind the couch anymore." For a second, I was confused. Then I remembered that in the apartment, the back of the couch faced the front door, so Barley was running to the door behind the couch.


While Barley's chosen path of going over the back of the couch is still hilarious, it all makes sense why she ran to the back door instead of the much closer front door. In the short month we've lived here, I might have already forgotten the layout of our old living room, but Barley obviously hasn't. I'm glad that my friends know my dog better than I do sometimes. Mystery solved.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It amazes me the tiny little details Barley can remember--and how easily my friends can identify those things!

      Delete
  2. LOL that is funny. I would have never thought of that, but it makes sense. There are times we go to train in afield and Freighter remembers old set-ups and where bumpers fell or blinds were placed. It can mess him up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have thought of that, either! And I don't know why--Barley also remembers EVERYTHING--if she's seen a dog in a yard once, she looks for it every time; if she sees a bunny in the yard when we go out in the evening, the first place she goes the next time we go out is that spot. So it totally makes sense that she'd go to where the door used to be--why she decided to go over the back of the couch instead of hopping off and running to the backdoor, I'm not sure, but it made for a good laugh.

      Delete
  3. That's adorable, I would have laughed over that. They do have excellent memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I wanted to laugh more, but I didn't want the person on the other side of the door to think they had knocked on the door of a nut house!

      Delete