Monday, May 2, 2016

April Resolution Update

I can't believe it's already May. Even though the first four months of the year have been busy, it also still feels like early March outside, so it's hard to believe we're a third of the way through the year. But the calendar says that's the case, so it's time for a resolution update.


If you've been with us since January, you know that Barley set the goal of 1100 miles together again this year.

Honestly, when April started, I had no clue where we were at with our mileage so far. I knew that we'd had a decent January and February, but with the move and redecorating March mileage suffered. Garmin updated their system so that when I plug in my GPS watch to the computer, it automatically uploads to my account whether I log into the website and look at it or not, so now, usually I plug it in and walk away.

Last week, I finally sat down to get an idea of where we're at and I was pleasantly surprised:

  • January mileage: 97.25 miles in 31 consecutive days of walking
  • February mileage: 84.42 miles in 28 days of walking (1 day missed)
  • March mileage: 63.76 miles in 27 days of walking (4 days missed)
  • April mileage: 97.43 miles in 29 days of walking (1 day missed)
For a total of 342.86 miles--just 20.14 miles below the 33% we'd ideally be at by this point. This is 6.89 more than we'd walked by this point in 2015, so I'm feeling really good about where we're at right now.

If I'd checked in on our mileage in March, I probably would have pushed a little bit harder, but with the late winter blahs and the never-ending wallpaper removal, I let us get away with several shorter walks.

We ended April with a great (but rainy) walk at the arboretum to celebrate Arbor Day. We didn't get the mileage we wanted in that one walk, but we made up for it with a neighborhood stroll later that evening and we finally got to enjoy some things in bloom.


We'll be pushing ourselves a little more than usual until we make up those 20 miles or so we missed in the first 1/3 of the year, but I'm confident we'll have no trouble reaching 50% of our goal by the end of June. Thank you all for your support and good wishes as we strive for year 4 of reaching our resolution mileage!

12 comments:

  1. Way to go! You'll make your goal - I can tell from your resolute tone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's only 3.09 miles/day for the rest of the year, so with summer vacation coming up I think we've got it handled :)

      Delete
  2. That's awesome! Your mileage is always so inspiring to me! I really need to walk more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been more of a struggle to get out there and get more miles this year for some reason! I'm glad we've been able to get back in our groove these last few weeks.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on all those miles walked! I average about 23 miles per week, but that's because I'm walking the dogs separately two times per day. I have a little health monitor on my phone that just keeps track of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I've kind of been wanting a second dog lately, but I am pretty sure I couldn't walk Barley with another dog and I'm not sure that my legs could handle enough miles a day to walk them both separately!

      Delete
  4. With everything going on you are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Barley's definitely been enjoying getting in extra miles now that it's finally spring!

    ReplyDelete