Sunday, May 8, 2016

Happy Mother's Day!

As legend has it, my grandpa occasionally picked up work on the coal boats in the harbor of the town I now live in. Way back before he and my grandma got married, my grandma traveled about an hour from her small Pennsylvania town to visit him. As they were eating in one of the harbor diners, my grandpa "made eyes" at a pretty girl and my grandma left town without a word. My grandpa was so scared to admit what had happened to my great-grandma if she answered the phone that he didn't call to see if my grandma had made it home until several days had passed. I'm not sure how he made things right with Grandma, but eventually they got married, had my dad, and my grandma never told a single other story about anything my grandpa did wrong.

Barley and the coal bridge

Today, as Barley and I took a perfect walk under beautiful blue skies down to see the coal bridge on this Mother's Day, I found myself missing my grandma a little more than usual. I'm so thankful to have had such a strong, independent, stubborn woman in my life for so many years. I think it's safe to say I have more than a little bit of her personality in me.

I also tried three different times to start a post about my own mom and what she means to me--which has increased tenfold in the years since I've added my own pets to my life--and words escaped me, so I'll just end with this throwback to 1988 (or 1989) when my mom was balancing a 4 (or 5)-year-old me, a 2 (or 3)-year-old dog, and my toddler sister and doing a really awesome job of being exactly the mom we all needed.


Happy Mother's Day to all of the wonderful mother's in my life! The pets and I would be lost without you.

10 comments:

  1. Love this post! And yeah, Grandpa had to be pretty amazing to get away with that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes--Viv wouldn't have been quick to let that one slide if he wasn't ;)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post with beautiful pictures. Sounds like you had a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Growing up, I never thought I'd visit--much less live in--the town where that story unfolded, but it sure is fun to think of that story every time Barley and I walk down to the coal yard.

      Delete
  3. That was a very sweet post. I miss my grandmother a lot too, she was very influential in my life. I hope you and your mom had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be celebrating with my mom later this month when the pets and I roadtrip south to see her :)

      Delete