Friday, May 13, 2016

The Athlete

I've always been fascinated by all of the different facets to Barley's identity. After my post about Barley's about new role in our neighborhood, I thought it might be fun to do a series on all of the elements that make Barley Barley.

Barley shares my problem of fluctuating weight. Even with consistent walking and agility sessions, if she gets one kibble of extra calories (not to mention helping herself to a little cat food), her waist line disappears.

Lately, we've been trying even harder to keep her trim and the work is paying off. We've been getting in our 3+ miles every day and we get regular play sessions in our yard. Barley jumps and pounces as as I toss her toys around. She'll occasionally take a break from her toys to herd me and run large circles around the yard.




Earlier this week, we were out walking and a neighbor stopped us to ask what kind of dog Barley was. We chatted for a few minutes and then he commented, "She's quite the athlete, huh?" 

Our trainer has been commenting on how good she's been looking for weeks, but I was just beaming with pride that a complete stranger, who had never seen Barley before, noticed her athleticism.  



12 comments:

  1. She looks like she's having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves romping in the yard for about .2 seconds--long enough to take a few fun pictures--and then she's ready to collapse in the shade or go back inside ;)

      Delete
  2. She looks awesome! I can totally relate to fluctuating weight.. Zoe and I both have that particular issue too! Barley looks like she's having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we aren't going through that struggle alone! It's such a pain to have to watch every single tiny bite when you know that you're so much more active than other people and their dogs and their dogs are like garbage disposals when it comes to food!

      Delete
  3. It's so great to see them running and knowing that it's not only helping to keep them healthy and looking good, but they're enjoying it so much too! They're not like us humans who sometimes groan at the the thought of having to exercise! :)
    Jan, Wag n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley has definitely helped me get on the exercise train--but if it's not exercise that she's involved in, too, I'm still groaning at the thought of it! Why can't all exercise be as fun as dogs make it look?

      Delete
  4. We hear ya over here on the fluctuating weight, too. Glad Bar is having fun in her new yard! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can't wait to show her yard to her cousin!

      Delete
  5. You are Barley are so active I am not surprised people notice. She really looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We've been working extra hard lately to get her in the best shape possible.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you are getting outside validation for all your hard work. Since his injury Sampson has put on about five pounds, which has to GO. So now the struggle becomes, how do we do that....I cut back a tiny bit on food and will switch him from lamb (which can be fatty) to rabbit. Fingers crossed it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that! I can't even imagine how Barley would handle that--winter weight is hard enough. When I start cutting back the food, it has to happen VERY slowly because I am pretty sure she counts every kibble and if she realizes she got less than usual she runs straight for the cat food!

      Delete