Friday, May 27, 2016

The Goober

A few weeks ago, I started a series about the different facets of Barely's identity. So far, we've covered the instigator and the athlete, but today we're covering one of my very favorite elements of Barley: the goober.

Barley is one of the goofiest dogs I've ever met. One of my favorite moments with Barley was our very first noseworks class. We were introducing our dogs to boxes and to the command we were using to search and we had started dropping a treat into an open box and saying the command word. On the first attempt, Barley put her whole body in the box and the entire class laughed. For the rest of the class, every time a treat dropped into the box, Barley would wiggle her way into the box. After that, it took several weeks before I could convince Barley that her nose was really the only thing that needed to go into the box. She's a lot like naughty toddlers in church--they find one person who will laugh at them (aka me) and the behavior will increase tenfold.

Sometimes, she's so eager to please that it looks like her head might explode. There are times when our trainer will handle her to show me how something should look and Barley knows she's my girl, but she knows our trainer is the one with the snacks, and it takes all I have not to laugh as she runs a few laps between us before getting back to work with our trainer.

Barley's also always ready for whatever silly photo shoot I come up with--no matter how impromptu they may be. In a moment of frustration over a 1000-piece New Yorker puzzle featuring dogs in ear warmers and scarves, I had to take a break from looking at it, saw a scarf and a fleece ear cover nearby, and in no time Barley was hopping up to pose with the puzzle. I'm sure my sister thought we were crazy, but Barley thought it was the must fun she'd had all night.

A puzzle with dogs in scarves must be done by a dog in a scarf.

She's equally willing to pose with dandelions or any other random object I decide she'd look extra cute with--and she makes sure to pull out her best poses for those photos.


Even when she's sleeping, Barley is a goober. I can't count the number of times that I've looked up from grading papers to see her napping in some weird Cirque du Soleil-type pose. They never look comfortable, but they always make me laugh.


This dog makes me laugh on a daily basis. She's a class clown and thrives on making people smile. She has a joy for life that my childhood dogs--lovely as they were--didn't exhibit. She's a goober and I wouldn't have her any other way.

10 comments:

  1. I wish I could have seen her try to cram her entire body in the box....lol. I can never get over the positions dogs can bend themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For as big as she is, Barley can definitely curl herself up very small! It's a sight to see for sure :)

      Delete
  2. I love silly dogs! I can't count the number of times I've said to our dogs "what are you doing, you goofball?". Yesterday Cricket was insisting on getting into the chewy box even though there was no longer anything in it. I finally put it on it's side for her so she could see for herself. I don't think any of ours are particularly goofy, but they all take turns making me smile!
    Jan, Wag n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Those Chewy boxes have been a source of much entertainment around here, too!

      Delete
  3. Barley sounds absolutely hilarious!!! I love silly dogs like Barley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is hilarious! Most of the time, I have no idea what's going on in her weird little brain, but she keeps me smiling :)

      Delete
  4. I think Harlow and Barley just might be related!

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that Barley's in such good company when it comes to being goofy!

      Delete
  5. That's one of the things I love best, their ability to make us laugh and smile. Sounds like Barley has it down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has definitely mastered silliness!

      Delete