Sunday, June 19, 2016

Congratulations, Cavs!

Almost 6 years ago, I left New Mexico, where I'd lived for three years, to start a new job in Northeast Ohio. My NFL team, the Carolina Panthers, had been letting me down for a while (not that I ever pay much attention to football) and there were no professional sports I followed in NM. I'd spent a little time watching LeBron and the Cavs--I had hopes that I was finally moving to a place where there might be a team that was fun to cheer for.

Then shortly after I unloaded my moving van, LeBron announced that he was taking his talents to South Beach and my hopes of having a good team to cheer for went out the window.

My brother and I still made sure to go to a Cavs game the first season I was here and we went to cheer the Cavs on in Atlanta last season, but I've spent very little time following the sport--mostly because for the last several years I haven't had television and then when I finally got it when I moved into my new house, I was too lazy to figure out what channel games came on. 

Since my tv is usually tuned to ABC anyway, it was easy to keep up with the Finals. I split my time between watching Pirates baseball games and watching the Cavs, so I didn't see every minute of every game--even tonight's, but after the Pirates gave up back-to-back home runs tonight, I decided that was my sign to abandon my post on the back porch and go cheer on the Cavs.



They did not disappoint. Shortly after the game, fireworks started going off in my neighborhood and it's clear that most of the region will be celebrating this week. It seems only fitting that the year I decided to officially make NE Ohio my home by buying a house is the same year that LeBron and the team brought home a win to Cleveland.  

8 comments:

  1. Definitely a good sign that they won! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always so fun when your team wins!! I used to follow baseball more, and my family are all still Red Sox fans. So I still get excited when they do something good, even if I don't follow along as closely as I used to.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baseball is the only sport I follow religiously, but my Pirates have been letting me down this season, so it was fun to have basketball to root for ;)

      Delete
  3. It is always nice to have a winning team, although I am not much of a basketball fan. Congrats to the Cavs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a basketball fan, either, but it was fun to see how excited our whole area got over the games, so I tuned in for the finals.

      Delete
  4. While I love watching a team win, I always feel bad for the ones who lose. :-) I'm such a softie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since my teams have a history of losing--and losing very badly, I usually don't feel too bad for the other teams when my team wins ;)

      Delete