Tuesday, June 7, 2016

I Still Like You

When Barley and I graduated from private lessons for her reactivity to being in multi-dog classes, I told our reactive dog trainer that I'd always loved Barley, but she'd helped me learn to like Barley. That was several years ago and my like for Barley didn't waiver (except for maybe a few brief moments of frustration involving the trash can and cat food). 

Then on May 13 that changed. For the first time in over four years, I didn't like my dog very much. The day had started out well with a nice walk followed by a lawn mowing sessions. My campus was holding our graduation that night, so after I'd showered, I had about an hour before I had to throw on a dress and meet my friends for our traditional pre-graduation dinner. It was cool out, so I thought Barley and I could get a little fetch session before I prettified myself.

If you follow us on Instagram, you know that since our yard isn't fenced, Barley and I use a 50-foot cotton long line for our play sessions. It's the perfect length for the distance I can toss a ball or toy because Barley is able to chase it down without getting all the way to the end of the line and choking herself or ripping my arm off. For two months, we used the long line and we'd only had a few problems--such as the dog two yards down coming out and Barley redirecting from the toy to the dog and the long line hit me behind the knees and knocked me down. But Barley turned around as soon as she realized I was down and I started checking before each throw to make sure that dog wasn't outside and we were fine.
We'd had dozens of play sessions without incident.

But on this day, things changed. I'd just gathered up most of the long line so we could head back inside for me to get ready when the dog came outside. Instead of listening to me say "What's that?" Barley took off and pulled the leash through my hand--and since I'd just gathered the leash, almost all 50-feet of it shredded my hand. My left ring finger and pinky got the worst of it--with most of the skin disappearing--but my thumb and index finger were also blistered. It was the worst pain I have ever experienced and I got lucky. 

I did my best to clean the blue leash fuzz out of my fingers (although a week later I was still occasionally finding some), bandaged the two worst fingers, and did my best to keep my hand on ice while also trying to do my hair and get a dress zipped. I knew Barley didn't mean to hurt me, but I was so upset with her that evening. She knew it and slept under the bed even though it wasn't hot and there weren't thunderstorms. We went to my parents' house the next weekend and a few days later I took a quick vacation with my friends and that was the time we needed to get back to our normal relationship.

15 days after the incident. It was too gross for picture before that.

It's been over three weeks now, and my hand still isn't completely healed. To make things worse, my ring finger is in that itchy phase of healing so I'm constantly having to stop what I'm doing to slather lotion on it for some temporary relief. My ring finger was the worst and it still occasionally cracks if it gets too dry or I move it in the wrong way and the tender new skin on my pinky is still extra sensitive to heat, which makes me sad when I want to snuggle up with a cup of coffee and forget about that. But for the most part, my hand is back to normal with minimal pain and I can almost pretend it never happened.

I decided immediately, though, that there would be no more outdoor play sessions for Barley until we got a fence. I couldn't trust her to not do something like this again and I was very aware that things could have been significantly worse. I figured this would take at least a year because fences are expensive and I needed to rebuild my savings after all of the moving expenses of the last couple months. 

As bummed as I was about that, I knew Barley wouldn't suffer in the long run. She rarely got play time like that when we lived in the apartment and she still had agility class and 3+ miles of walks a day to keep her active, so her life would still be fun.


After seeing my hand, my parents graciously offered to set up a loan for a fence for Barley (they kind of love their grandpuppy) and we typed up some terms of repayment. When we got home from our travels, I set up estimate appointments to look at our options. I assumed it would be months before anyone could get to our job, but the local fence company said, "Right now, we're looking at 3 weeks before we could come out, but I know how much better it will be for your dog to have a fence sooner, so we'll see if we can rearrange some jobs." I was sold. They called two days later and said they could come this week--less than a week after coming out to do the estimate. 

None of these options look like they'll make it easier for me to eat the neighbors.

I've cleared out all of the brush at the back of the yard (after my millionth trip to Lowe's--this time to buy a lopper) and the yard is set for the fence installation to start today! 



The project will likely be completed Wednesday, so we should only have one more night of Barley having to be tied up to a tree in the yard for our evenings of sitting outside listening to the Pirates games. 

So my Barley girl, I still like you, I've always loved you, and I can't wait to spend the rest of summer vacation enjoying our backyard together.


17 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to sometimes not liking a dog. I always love them but some days can be harder than others. Your poor hand! Ouch!!!

    That's so awesome that you're getting a fence! I bet it's a huge weight off your mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We are very excited to have a fence--we'll still have to do some work to keep her from spazzing out at the side we share with our neighbor's big dogs, but she can FINALLY play off leash!

      Delete
  2. Agreed - sometimes it can be MUCH harder to like someone than to love him/her, be it pets or people. It can also be a two-way street. Habi sometimes briefly "falls out of like" with me too. So glad that the stars (and your parents and the fence company) aligned! And that you two are back "in like" with each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Barley never falls out of like with me! She knew I was upset, but even then she was totally confused about why I wasn't snuggling her like usual--I hope I never do that to her again! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who knows that sometimes it's hard to like a pet even though you love them like crazy :)

      Delete
  3. Yayyy fence day!! Can't wait to come and play!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Your visit was just two weekends too soon!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm sorry about your leash injury! I have a bruise right now on the top of my hand from the latch of a leash. And hooray for a fence!! I can't believe there was a time we didn't have half of our yard fence. I feel much safer with it, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! I've definitely had the leash latch bruises, too--usually those are a result of my own clumsiness and happen when I'm taking them off the leash hook or putting them back up, and Barley's not to blame, but I have a long list of dog-related injuries. Good think they're so cute! ;)

      Delete
    2. The dogs are cute--not the injuries. I shouldn't reply before finishing coffee!

      Delete
  5. Oh Barley. I'm glad you guys are getting a fence! Mr. N has accidentally scratched me before but that's been the worst of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. N is so good! Barley is the most enthusiastic snuggler in the world, so even when we're just cuddling on the couch, I've been known to get a black eye or split lip.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you're healing. That sounds like it was super rough.

    I have a terrible spine, and my black dog is wild at times. I fall out of "like" with him when he lunges toward something and hurts me. It's a very visceral reaction when your dog hurts you.

    I am thrilled to hear that you'll be relaxing in a fenced yard. Yipee! (In fact, today is Wednesday, so maybe you're relaxing in it right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely wasn't a fun experience for any of us. I'm sorry you've experienced that with your pup, too. Knowing Barley didn't mean to hurt me didn't even really help because it just made me angrier at myself for being angry with her for hurting me.

      The fence is up! We haven't had a lot of time to relax in it yet because yesterday was agility class day and it was dark by the time we got home, but we're looking forward to being out there and listening to a ball game this evening!

      Delete
  7. Between you and me....you can feel this way about your children too. Just sayin'.

    I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious and also glad that your parents were able to help out. I know they don't mean, but it can be so frustrating when we think they've gotten something down and then it flies out the window.

    Hope you are both enjoying that fence by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally believe you! I am sure my mom has loved me without liking me on multiple occasions throughout my early teenage years. We are thoroughly enjoying the fence so far! We have some issues to train through concerning the neighbor dogs on the other side of the fence, but I'm confident she'll get used to it.

      Delete
  8. That is great. Your life will be so much better with a fence. Depending on what kind, those fence companies can put them up pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They put in the posts on Tuesday, let the cement set overnight, and had the rest of the fence together in less than 3 hours on Wednesday.

      Delete