Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Summer-time Brain

Usually, it takes a while before I decide that my brain might need more of a routine than summer vacation gives me, but this year it seems to be setting in early.

Barley and I have a good summer routine. We sleep until I wake up naturally (or until I get tired of waking up and telling Soth to stop knocking things around because he's hangry). We eat breakfast. We walk. We read and nap and read and nap. We might eat lunch if we don't nap through it. Then we take an evening walk and settle in to watch the Pirates play ball (or a movie or Hulu if it's an off day).  Eventually, I'll start prepping for my fall classes when I start feeling my brain turn to mush, but May and June tend to be blissfully lazy and full of reading the things I don't get to read August-April. 

This summer, though, I'm starting to see signs of summer-time brain setting in earlier than usual. 

For the last few days, Barley and I have walked by a lint roller alongside the sidewalk. At first, I just made note of it and thought it was a strange thing to see alongside the sidewalk, but didn't give it much thought.



My lint rollers ended up somewhere unidentifiable when I moved (as one of the last items to be packed, they fell victim to being thrown into any old box or bag that had room). Lint rollers are never things I remember to buy, so they're alway things that are bought on a whim--I might happen to notice them at the end of an aisle I'm walking by in Target and toss several in the cart, so I either have no lint rollers or a billion and there's no middle ground. I keep one in my desk drawer at work and a travel one in my car, so unearthing the ones for the house wasn't a priority and then it was summer and there's no point in lint rolling when you spend all day doing dog activities.

Then one day, I woke up from an afternoon read-nap-read-nap session and I was covered in fuzzes from a blanket I'd just washed. I was too lazy to go out to the car to get the travel-sized lint roller, so I changed shirts instead so that we could take our second walk (dog hair is an acceptable summer walking accessory--blanket fuzz is not). 

As Barley and I walked by the lint roller again, I started thinking to myself, "If I just peeled off the top sheet, it would probably be perfectly fine." Y'all. For a minute, I seriously considered picking up a SIDEWALK LINT ROLLER. I'm a huge germaphobe and hypochondriac and I WAS GOING TO TAKE A SIDEWALK LINT ROLLER HOME! 

At that point, it became clear that I have hit rock bottom early this summer. I'll be heading to the office to pick up the textbooks I need to start planning for the fall as soon as possible.

And until I remember to buy more lint rollers, blanket fuzz (and cat hair) are also acceptable accessories.


9 comments:

  1. Ah ha ha! Is it possible it's one of yours from the move?

    This morning I dropped half a banana on the floor and I damn well picked it up, washed it off and used it. Oh my god, did I actually just share that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless the lint roller became as wily as my dog, it's not one of mine--none of my trips with boxes went down that road! I can neither confirm nor deny that I have done similar things with bananas . . .

      Delete
  2. We don't even own a lint roller! In Portland, people leave out free stuff at the curb all the time so....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's still there days later, so if I change my mind, I don't think anyone would miss it!

      Delete
  3. OMG I am dying and choking from laughing so hard. Brown dawgs and a black cat mostly mean no lint roller needed...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley is the perfect combination of colors to make all colors of clothes impossible to wear in public without one--at least when I'm doing non-dog activities. It was much easier to get dressed when I only had to worry about white cat hair!

      Delete
  4. LOL!!! Your summer was sounding so blissful...but you can't let your brain turn to mush and start picking things up off the sidewalk!
    Like Jodi, I wondered if maybe one of your missing ones from the move had found it's way there!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a minimal amount of work to start prep for the fall semester and now I'm content to vegetate again :)

      Delete
    2. Just enough to get the brain working again, right? :)

      Delete