Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Barley's First Brewery

After our Alabama hiking adventure, our day wasn't done yet! My family is a big fan of craft beer, hence the name Barley, and we weren't too far from Good People Brewing Company when we finished our hike. 

The brewery didn't open for another 30 minutes, so we stopped by Birmingham's Slice Pizza and Brew for some lunch on the patio. My nephew dog Maddux is a pro at going out in public because his rescue organization occasionally has events at wineries and breweries, but there aren't that many dog friendly places around here, so Barley has never been to a restaurant. It was warm out, but we did our best to arrange umbrellas and water bowls to keep the dogs cool. I think all of the dogs liked the attention our sweet waitress gave them, especially my nephew who got the spot closest to the door and had everyone who came in/out of the restaurant commenting on how cute he was.  


Once Barley got some water, she was perfectly content to lounge between me and my dad while we ate. Until I got a little enthusiastic about my shrimp and kale salad and knocked over the jalapeno vinaigrette cup and sent it cascading through the slots in the table--then Barley made it her mission to clean up my mess and emerged a little slimier than she had been before. 


After lunch, we headed to the brewery and it was my favorite part of the trip. I've always wanted to visit a brewery with Barley--and we just haven't made it to Great Lakes together (mostly because parking around there is questionable during prime patio weather because they have a fatty wagon that takes people from the brewery to the ballpark when the Indians are at home).


The best part about this particular brewery is that they don't serve food and the tasting room is separated from the brewing facilities, so dogs are allowed inside! The bartender fawned over all the dogs--Barley even convinced her to give her a second treat.


Barley was so worn out from the day's earlier adventures that she sprawled across the cool cement floor and took a nap while we all enjoyed a beer. 


All three dogs were excellent. Barley did give a quick bark (and sloshed some water out of her dish) to make it clear that she wasn't happy I went to the bathroom and left her with her grandma--which got a hearty laugh from the man at the table next to us--but once she learned her grandma had the treat pouch, she settled back down. 


Not only did I get to enjoy some really good beer (Good People's Urban Farmer Saison is a perfect post-hike beer!), but my reactive dog who doesn't often get to go out in public despite her love of people was made to feel welcome at Good People Brewing Co.

Barley was so sleepy by the time we got home that she went to bed early--and I wasn't far behind her.


After three years of Alabama visits, this was by far our favorite day in Alabama yet!

14 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! I love taking my dogs to outdoor restaurant type places and I think it's awesome that dogs are allowed in that brewery! Barley looks like she's having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley was so happy to be somewhere where other people could fawn over her and give her snacks :) The nice cool floor was an added bonus :)

      Delete
  2. So much fun! My favorite part of the day, too! (And I'm betting it was Mad Dog's as well!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe we didn't get a picture with all of the pups at the brewery!

      Delete
  3. You had me at "jalapeno vinaigrette"... sounds delicious. Ha, ha. Glad you guys had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley certainly thought it was delicious! I enjoyed it, too :)

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a cool brewery. We do not have any places like that here. I can't think of any dog friendly eateries at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to try to check out a couple of the dog friendly patios around here before the cold weather moves in because we had so much fun there. And we'll hope that Barley's grandpa wants to take her back out for a beer when we visit again ;)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like the perfect day! Rodrigo loves attention and I'm thinking of taking him to a winery. I don't drink wine, but the day will still be fun because I'm with a dog.

    Glad you had an amazing visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is more fun with a dog! I'm sure all of the winery patrons would enjoy giving him attention, too :)

      Delete
  6. What a day! How fun that Barley got to go to the brewery with you. I'm more of a "winery" person and I'd love to find one that I could take one of the dogs to (not Luke, he's not ready for that yet!). I wonder if that's on Sheba's bucket list? :)
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet Sheba would love to grab a glass of wine with you :) We have lots of wineries around here--several that allow dogs outside, but you have to go in to get your wine, so I'll have to wait until it's fall and cool enough to leave Bar in the car while I grab my drink or until I find someone else to go with us. We hadn't been in a hurry to go since we already had a few grape vines to walk near in our old neighborhood, but we're missing checking the grape progress, so it's on our list of things to do soon :)

      Delete