Monday, August 29, 2016

Goodbye, Summer

Yesterday was the last day of summer vacation. It was time to go back to work--I've always been happier when I've been busy (maybe I have a little border collie in me, too?), but that didn't mean I was happy to say goodbye to sleeping in, taking a long leisurely morning walk, and enjoying the rest of the day snuggling up with a book and Barley and Soth. 

To give summer a proper send off, Barley, Soth, and I headed out to the backyard when the Pirates game came on. We all had a treat outside--a Moscow mule for me, a kong for Barley, and grass for Soth.

I may have downloaded the Prisma app, too . . .

I wanted to be sure that Barley had a little bit of extra fun since she's been having to share me with her new foster brother lately (more on him in a future post). Earlier this summer, I discovered that despite her hatred of rain and baths, Barley loves to attack the stream from the hose. I think the following pictures make it pretty clear that Barley had a great last day of summer vacation.















She will run figure 8s after the hose all day long if I'd let her, so I had to make sure I didn't get too carried away and let her run too hard (my poor carpet will never be the same after she played too hard the first time I got out the hose . . .). 

We hope that you all are enjoying these late summer days as much as we did yesterday! 

18 comments:

  1. I'm so sad that summer is winding down! I can only imagine how you must feel having to go back to work.
    Barley was definitely enjoying herself there! Luke loves to bite at the hose too, it's so fun to watch them having fun like that.
    Can't wait to hear more about your foster dog!
    Jan, Wag n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sad about summer winding down because fall is my favorite! We will miss the longer days--but it will be nice to be able to walk at any time of day instead of early morning and evening. I'm glad Luke knows the joys of playing with the hose, too!

      Delete
    2. Now that we're getting a taste of the gorgeous fall weather, I'm feeling better about it. :)

      Delete
    3. Now that we're getting a taste of the gorgeous fall weather, I'm feeling better about it. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like so much fun!
    We've been trying to enjoy the last days of summer but it's been too hot to get the boys out and about so hopefully it'll cool down a bit for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't been having too many summer adventures, either. We're close enough to the lake and the backyard is shady enough that we can spend time out there, but we didn't get to nearly enough parks this summer!

      Delete
  3. Oh, that's too funny! The Ginger Sisters want nothing to do with water of any kind. Not the bath, not the kiddie pool, not the hose. Boca reluctantly waded in a river on our road trip, taking me by complete surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barely's usually that way! She hates bath time--in the tub and with the hose. She will put her toes in the lake, but mostly just because that's easier to get a drink, I think. I was shocked the first time she showed interest in the hose while I was watering plants!

      Delete
  4. I'm ready for fall. Open the windows and let the cool air in!!

    Intrigued about the foster brother. How long is 'later'? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for fall, too! If I have to be back at work, I want sweaters and cider and pretty leaves when I'm done ;)

      And later is as soon as I find the time to sit down and write about him! He's in the middle of a 2-week quarantine for kennel cough, so I'm having to move between his area of the house and Barley's and still give Soth love, so there just aren't enough hours in teh day for everything!

      Delete
  5. Happy back to school!! :) I'm ready for fall now that I'm back at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I can't wait to see what fun fall projects your kiddos do ;)

      Delete
  6. My mom remembers the years where she had almost too much free time. She says she knows she is old now because time really does fly by, and she never has enough time for everything whether she is working or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when I have unlimited summer free time, there's still not enough time for everything--so I totally understand!

      Delete
  7. Haha, she sure looks like she had a grand time with the hose!! Both of my pups love playing with the water from the hose as well. Perfect summer activity, although I have to say that I'm glad that this miserably hot & humid summer is coming to an end here in NC. I can't wait for long fall walks & hikes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley used to hate all water--but for some reason, she's really taken a liking to the hose this year! I'm definitely look forward to fall, too.

      Delete
  8. I am super impressed that you were able to manage the hose and take some great pictures too! We had a lovely long weekend at the cabin for Labor Day. The weather was perfect. It was a good way to end the summer (but I guess we have summer temps headed our way this week). Have a great school year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The burst mode on my phone is perfect for that kind of thing! I basically held down the button on the side and then sifted through hundreds of pictures to see what we got :) I'm glad you had lovely Labor Day weather--we did, too, so now we're really looking forward to fall!

      Delete