Monday, August 8, 2016

Walking with Barley, Season 5 Episode 7

Recently, Barley and I were out walking in our neighborhood. It's never uncommon for someone to stop us to ask questions about Barley, so I wasn't surprised when a woman walking a Lhasa Apso put on the breaks and said hello.

What happened next, though, caught me off guard.

Woman: "I thought you were walking a skunk because of her coloring."

Me: "Her tail is a little skunk-like."

Barley: hearing the word tail starts wagging like a fool

Woman: "Yeah, with that black and white on her tail."

Me: "Luckily for me, she doesn't smell like one."

Woman: "Skunks are beautiful, though."

Barley: looks at the little dog, looks at me, nudges my hand for a treat

Me: "Yes, they are pretty animals."

Woman: "Yes, especially when you have a whole group of them together. It's like a black and white carpet."

Me: "I bet! You have a good morning now."


Barley and I quickly hurried in the opposite direction. If we have 50-pound skunks roaming the neighborhood (and even worse, whole "carpets" of them!), we're never leaving home again. Sometimes, it really does feel like we're living in a sitcom, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that my unique dog attracts the most unique people.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They really are! But I guess that's what makes life interesting!

      Delete
  2. OK that is so odd. I would have been moving along with the first comment. Barley does not resemble a skunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Sometimes in agility class, the end of Barley's tail will sneak out under the divider between the area we wait and the agility floor and our trainer has said that she saw it out of the corner of her eye and thought it was skunk at first--but seeing all of Barley at once, I don't know how you could confuse her with a skunk!

      Delete
  3. Hahaha if you have 50 pound skunks running around I'm not visiting any more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never a dull moment, right? Goodness, we run when we see one skunk, I can't imagine seeing a whole group of them! LOL
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind seeing one on it's own as long as it's far away from us (the first time we saw one, I spent a long time googling to see how far they could spray!), but we'd definitely be running if we saw a group of them, too!

      Delete
  5. Not to mention how TALL those skunks are. I'd run for the dang hills!

    ReplyDelete