Friday, September 23, 2016

That Guilty Feeling

I had a plan to write about foster pup Sal's progress and how Barley's handling our houseguest when I woke up this morning. This week's been exhausting, so I didn't set an alarm when I went to bed this morning. When I woke up this morning, I was shocked to see 8:25 on my phone. It's not unusual for Barley to let me sleep in, but it's unheard of for Soth to not wake me up at least once begging for food and knocking things off the dresser.

This guy does not sleep in.

I changed out of my pig pajamas, so my neighbors didn't see me in my pig pants that late into the morning when I took Sal out in the front yard. Usually, Soth comes into the bathroom with me in the morning, but he was no where to be seen. I brushed my hair in case Sal decided we should stroll down the street a little ways. I checked the library room to see if Soth was snoozing on the loveseat or in the closet and then Barley and I headed downstairs. I called Soth and heard a jingle, so I figured he was probably stretching and would be joining us at the back door in a minute.

I opened the gate into the kitchen to take Barley out the backdoor and Barley rounded the corner and went straight to the cat food. I noticed that none of the cat food hadn't been touched all night. Soth doesn't always finish his food at night, but there wasn't a single bite taken out of his wet food and the only dry food that was missing were the kibbles Barley got before I caught her. I panicked. 

I called Soth again. I heard another jingle. Closer this time. But I still couldn't see him.

And then I knew. My heart sunk.

My little basement troll.

I stepped out of the kitchen, opened the basement door, and who did I see? My handsome little guy was sitting on the other side. He opened his mouth wide and yelled at me and then trotted into the kitchen to search for his food.

He is an expert hider.

The rest of the morning he has been acting like he's been without human contact for 10 years. He's been following me around. Bumping my hand with his head until I pet him. Wrapping his paws around my hand to make sure I don't stop petting him.

I guess doing a headcount is going to become part of our bedtime routine from now on. Sorry Soth!

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. He has not been near the basement door all day! But he's been spending plenty of time forcing me to give him attention to make up for his hours of isolation :)

      Delete
  2. Poor guy! This is one of the reasons basements scare me. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He probably wasn't as traumatized as he likes to make me think he was. Our basement is really nice--as far as partially finished basements go--and he loves playing down there, so probably the only thing he was really upset about was being separated from his food ;)

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the world of multiple pets...once you get past two it's time to do head counts. :) Samantha used to sneak into our laundry room at the old house, and I can't tell you how many times she got shut in there. She didn't seem to mind too much though, and most of the time would start meowing so we knew where to find her. Here at the new house it's been the built in cabinets in my office, but not too often so far. I'm sure Soth is just milking this for all it's worth....our pets know how easy it is to make us feel guilty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking Soth snuck down there around 11 p.m. when I went to get sheets out of the dryer to put back on the bed--and then he probably didn't realize that he was stuck until long after I'd gone up to the second story for bed and couldn't hear him. Soth definitely likes to make me feel guilty, so I'm sure he's not as bothered by this as he'd like me to think ;) I'm glad Sam's learned how to let you know she's stuck!

      Delete
  4. My cat bro Bert is always sneaking into places like the basement and often ends up getting stuck there for hours. We no longer feel sorry for him as he doesn't seem to learn his lesson! Glad Soth was alright and just stuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those cat brothers are just nothing but trouble, huh? ;)

      Delete
  5. It's scary when that happens. I've lost Delilah a couple of times. Once she got shut in the bathroom and then there was one time when I left Sampson outside when I actually LEFT the house. I felt really badly about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soth's definitely spent time in the basement before, but never a whole night! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had moments like this!

      Delete
  6. Dear Soth,
    'Have to post under my humans name because our Wordpress URL doesn't seem to work. 'Just wanted to dell you I feel your pain. I am a "darter" and my darting into certain areas of the house have left me in some lonely positions for a number of hours. I usually just sing the song of my people very loud until I'm rescued.
    Your Friend,
    Alberto www.FelineOpines.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soth appreciates knowing he's not alone in this! He's been much more cautious about letting me out of his sight when he's in the basement now ;)

      Delete
  7. Poor kitty. They are all horribly mistreated and neglected. If Bear is closed into or out of a room, he will howl for hours. And I mean until the door is opened. The only exception? The tiny pantry in our kitchen. He'll willingly walk in there and just sit. I've accidentally closed him in there a couple times and started panicking only to hear a tiny meow when I called his name. CATS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Cats do have such rough lives ;) I still can't believe Soth didn't howl because he usually doesn't hesitate to let me know when he's unhappy with something.

      Delete
  8. Oops. I bet Soth did not let you forget for a while either. Dogs get over it with the next meal or a treat, not a cat....lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, he hasn't held a grudge nearly as long as I thought he would--or else he's plotting something really evil and doesn't want me to catch on to the plan!

      Delete
  9. Ah, the trusty evening headcount! Glad Soth was right there to yell at you though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yea, headcounts can be important! I saw you over at Bear's place and came by to drop off a howdy!

    ReplyDelete