Friday, September 2, 2016

The Most Beautiful Barf

A couple weeks ago, I found myself faced with the decision of whether we should rush to the emergency room or not because Barley had once again helped herself to something she shouldn't have.

She is not as innocent as she looks.

Every now and then, I get a Plated box to make my life a little less hectic or to try recipes out of my comfort zone. This particular week, one of the recipes involve making homemade ricotta cheese to put on a pasta dish. Usually, the recipes I get are simple, quick, and delicious--but this time my attempt at cheesemaking failed miserably, meal prep took way longer than it should have, and I was crabby. I tossed the gross, drippy cheesecloth into the trashcan and didn't think about it again.

After dinner, I needed to toss some clothes in the dryer, so I called Barley and made her come down to the basement with me so I could keep an eye on her. She had other plans, though, and as soon as I started tossing clothes in the dryer, she stampeded up the stairs. 

I wasn't far behind her, but I was too late. She'd pulled that cheesecloth out of the trash and swallowed it whole! I wasn't sure what to do--I didn't want to give her hydrogen peroxide to make her barf it up in case it got twisted around on the way back up and caused more problems. It was after 10 p.m., so our vet had been closed for hours and the emergency vet is an hour away--I didn't really want to make that trip, either, since Barley has a history of barfing things up on her own or passing them out the other way. I was definitely more concerned this time, though, since a cheesecloth is much bigger than a penny or a rock or pieces of plastic from a treat bag she's shredded. 

I cried. I cursed. I called my mom. I repeated these things several times. Finally, I decided to just watch her closely and wait to make a decision.

For two whole days, there was no sign of that cheesecloth. Every time she went in the yard, I followed her like a shadow and watched for it. On every walk, I stood in neighbor's yards inspecting the poo bag a little more closely than one should do in public. Nothing. But Barley was still up for her normal walks. She was eating normally. She was as normal as she could ever hope to be.

Then on the third day, I woke up to the sound of barf. I flew out of bed and to my delight, there was the most beautiful barf on my carpet. I'd been planning to call the vet when they opened that morning to see what they recommended, but Barley saved me from having to do that. 

We've now got a gate in the entryway to the kitchen. Soth can still get through to get his food--and Barley can't get into get the trash.

I'd hardly finished installing it before Soth was testing it out.

Barley is not  amused by this new addition to our home decor. She bangs against it like Free Willy banging against the glass of his tank. So far, it's holding up well.


She's tried to fit through the cat door on several occasions, so I'm taking bets on how long it takes her to get stuck.


I'm kicking myself for not breaking down and ordering a gate sooner. Hopefully, Barley's mischievous moments will be even fewer and farther between now.

23 comments:

  1. She is a cheeky girl for sure but that gate sounds the ideal solution,xx Rachel and Speedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure any of the words I used to describe her when she ate that cheesecloth were as nice as cheeky ;) So far the gate has been great, though!

      Delete
  2. We totally understand that panic! Bailie ate a hair scrunchy a few days before we were to leave on vacation. The vet was about to close for the day and also said coming back up can also be a bad thing. We elected to wait for her to poop it out. 5 days later, still nothing appeared, the morning we were to leave on vacation, it happened. She puked up the scrunchie. Mom was so excited, danced around and then Bailie attempted to eat it again. Luckily, Mom got to it first! Glad Barley is alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bailie! Barley might have tried to eat the cheesecloth, too, but as soon as I heard the "I'm about to barf" noises, I flew out of bed--didn't even bother to grab my glasses--and ran to her side. I'm glad your mom was able to beat her to the scrunchie after it came back up :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Barley. I'm glad she's OK. I hope the gate continues to hold up! Mr. N only eats food... and a very narrow set of food at that. And EOS lip balms. For some reason, he's obsessed with those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran into the gate myself today and it's still standing, so I think it's a winner! Barley usually only eats food (and cat poop)--she'll shred a paper towel, but usually doesn't eat them unless they are soaked with something amazing--but the cheesecloth had been used to strain the sad liquid mess I'd made and still had some of the few bits of cheese I actually got clinging to it, so I guess she decided eating it was the best way to enjoy those bits. The penny and the rock she's eaten just happened to be stuck to gross cat poop in our old apartment complex that I couldn't get her away from quick enough ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness, I'm very glad that the cheesecloth reappeared on your carpet! One of my client dogs had swallowed a sock several months ago and it took him almost one week to poop it back out. It actually happened while I was walking him, which meant that I took a fabulous close-up of the pile and sent it right to his owners. They couldn't have been happier :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm glad I didn't have to wait a whole week--and I'm sure Barley is, too, since she didn't have any privacy for days! I'm glad your client's dog was able to get rid of the sock on his own, too!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for not posting a pic of the barf :) Glad it turned out ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cleaned that up so fast there was no time for a picture! It smelled awful and I didn't want her to try to eat it again while I got my phone!

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, Barley, thank goodness it came back up! You have to wonder how long she was waiting for that opportunity....you forgot about it, but she didn't! :)
    I remember when my sister's dog ate a sock at a family party, I'm pretty sure it was a good week before that sock finally showed back up - the same way!
    Jan, Wag n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she was just waiting for me to turn my back from the second I stuck that thing in the trash can! She does not miss an opportunity to get something tasty. I'm glad the sock came out of your sister's dog without much trouble, too!

      Delete
  7. All it took was a threat to call the vet that morning, lol! I'm so glad she was able to get rid of the cheesecloth and the gate is a perfect solution. Barley looks so cute staring through the small door. I bet you had a big sigh of relief. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Usually I'm very squeamish about bodily functions, but I was so happy to see that particular pile of barf that I didn't even think twice about it!

      Delete
  8. Goodness Barley! At least Ducky only eats dirt, grass, and other yard trash. She chews on sheets, , and blankets, too, but spits the pieces out of her mouth instead of swallowing them. I'm glad everything came out okay in the end!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I'm glad Ducky spits out fabric!

      Delete
  9. Those gates can be a life saver. We have several. Our house looks like a series of locks...lol. I am glad Barley is OK. They sure can worry a person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gate is great! There aren't really other parts of the house that need to be blocked off, but it's so handy I feel like we need them EVERYWHERE!

      Delete
  10. Ugh, I've been there and as soon as I saw the title to this post...I knew she'd gotten into something. So glad it came up.

    The other morning I'm fairly certain Delilah ate a wild grape on our walk. I surprised myself by not panicking. Thankfully it was only the one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd be able to relate to this since Barley and Delilah are definitely on that same food-stealing wave length. When I was growing up, my dog used to share grapes with me all the time--it was shocking when we finally heard that grapes were bad for dogs! I'm glad Delilah only helped herself to one ;)

      Delete
    2. You know what I found out? That not all dogs have issues with grapes, BUT you don't know until your dog is seriously ill, so I think it's better to err on the side of caution. :-)

      Delete
  11. Oh, yes, beautiful barf indeed! Right from the sound to the product. I know that wait! So glad she got it up. They are so quick, aren't they? Our oldest Siberian Husky, Harley, even with the starts of arthritis, can dolphin-dive thisfast when it comes to grabbing something tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, I have lived with your fear! One of our collies, who shall remain nameless, is an underwear thief! Yep, she loves to eat my daughter's underwear and we have to be super vigilant when doing laundry! I'm glad Barley was ok, and threw up the cheese cloth.

    ReplyDelete