Friday, October 21, 2016

Barley Reviews Pet Treater

October has been a long month for us. Between weird weather and endless paper grading, the pets have been feeling a little neglected. It was a pleasant surprise for them when Barley and I went to leave for a walk and there was a huge package just for them on the font step.


We'd been sent our first Pet Treater box to review. Barley seems to know when the mail is for her and it took some convincing to get her to go on the walk with me before we dove into the box.


I'm a sucker for themed pet products and this month's Pet Treater box was the perfect theme for us! It was a Barktoberfest theme--and if you've been with us a while, you know that Barley got her name because I love craft beer. The box came with an envelope addressed to Barley and Sal, but we had to take turns looking at the items since Barley gets too excited about new things to be loose with Sal for that kind of thing.

The first thing we pulled out of the box were two packages of Petsafe Indigo Smokehouse Strips in bacon and chicken flavors. This was the item Barley was most excited about, so we opened them up immediately. 

Barley was very patient and let me take a couple of pictures before we tore into them, but once the package was open, she was not happy about being taunted with them while I took a picture of the actual treats.

These were great treats--we've only tried the bacon flavor so far, but as soon as I opened the package, the room filled with the scent of bacon. I almost wanted to try them myself, but I have learned that dog treats never taste as good as they smell, so I let Barley be the official taste tester.

The strips break into small pieces very easily, so they make great training treats. That's a big plus since we we go through a lot of treats a day, so treats that can be torn up and make Barley think she's getting more snacks are always great.

Sal thought these snacks were great, too. He could smell them in my pocket when I went to take him outside and was so excited that he didn't even want to sit still long enough to get his leash on until he'd gotten to try one. He had much more pep in his step when I took him out and was excited to come back inside to try a couple more.

My two favorite items in the box were a Drinking Buddy bandana and a bottle of Bowser Beer Porky Pug Porter. We haven't tried the porter before, but we've tried one of the other styles of Bowser Beer in the past. I'm saving her porter for a nice, crisp fall night when I pour a Great Lakes Brewing Company porter for myself--maybe on Tuesday when we're cheering the Indians on in Game 1 of the World Series. The bandana just makes me smile--it probably won't be one she's wearing outside of the house (unless she goes on another brewery visit), but we'll definitely have fun taking pictures in it around the house.

There were also two cute toys in our box. The first one was a stuffed bone with a breast cancer ribbon on it from Bow-Wow Pet. There wasn't a squeaker inside, so it's not a toy Barley would be interested in. Luckily, there's another pup in the house who just likes toys that he can chase whether or not they have squeakers. Sal loved the bone and couldn't understand why I would take time out from throwing it to take his picture.


There was also a bat toy from Grriggles that Barley laid claim to--although Sal was pretty sure he should have that one, too. Barley was too busy sniffing and nibbling on the bat to pose nicely for a picture, so I think it must be a good one! 


There were even some goodies in the box for me. There was an over the door pet organizer. It's a really great organizer with quality materials that would really hold up well to holding lots of toys, snacks, and a leash. There's even a little picture frame at the top to put a picture of your dog.  

I really like this organizer. It's much higher quality than most over the door organizers I've seen--for people or pet products. I haven't decided if I'm going to use it or donate it to the shelter to use in a basket for their charity auction. I want to keep it, but all of my closet doors are sliding doors, so it won't work with them and in Barley's crate room, there's a mirror attached to the back of the door. It could work on the door to the laundry room where Barley's shower is, so I might use it for her shampoos and to pick up toys that make their way down to the laundry room with us. 
There was also a little pumpkin silicone muffin tray with a spatula. I never have enough spatulas, so that was great! I'll definitely be using that year round. I don't bake very often, but the tray is really cute and if I can remember I have it next time I bake, I know I'll love having cute fall-shaped goodies! 


There was really only one product in the box that we won't use. It was a beef knuckle, which is not something that I let Barley have. She would love it, but hard chews like that make her gums bleed almost immediately. Sal's bad teeth would keep him from chewing on this, so next time we take donations to the shelter, this will be going to them. 


There was something for everyone in this box--even Soth. Pet Treater has a code to get a free dog bed with your first box of a 3, 6, or 12 month subscription plan, so they included a bed for us to try out, too.



The bed we were sent is also from Bow-Wow pets and matches Sal's bone. Soth didn't waste any time claiming this for himself.


We were sent a medium bed--it's a round bed that's size 23" x 6"--and it's a little small for Barley who is at the top of the medium dog range on Pet Treater's size chart, but it would be perfect for Sal if he wasn't a sprawler. Barley loves curling up in small beds, though, and has been known to take over cat beds, so she's still enjoying this little bed when her brother isn't occupying it. 


The free pet bed code only works on your first 3, 6, or 12 month subscription plan, but if you want to try a month-to-month subscription, you can use the code LOVE-PT5 to get $5 off your first box. If you don't want your pets to feel left out while you're chowing down on Thanksgiving goodies, November would be a great time to get a Pet Treater box!

If you choose a month-to-month subscription, it's only $24.99 a month and the price per box goes down if you choose a 3, 6, or 12 month option instead. You can also try a one time box without a subscription for $34.99. Also, for each box Pet Treater sends, they provide a dog or cat in a local shelter with a new treat, toy, or blanket, so you can feel even better about spoiling your own pet!

We've tried other subscription boxes and Pet Treater had many more items inside and they were all high quality products. We'd highly recommend Pet Treater to anyone who wants to make sure their pups get something fun in the mail every now and then! 

DisclaimerWe were provided with a Pet Treater box in exchange for our honest review, but all opinions are my own and we only share information we think is relevant and valuable to our readers. Pet Treater is not responsible for the content of this post. 

12 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm so happy for you and your gang that you're reviewing Pet Treater now! We just love it. I'm making the crew wait to bust into theirs since Sheba and Luke both have birthdays this week. We got a couple different things, but we also got that bandana which is just so much fun!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that everyone gets something just a little different to make it special for their pets :) I can't wait to see what came in yours! Happy early birthday to Luke and Sheba!

      Delete
  2. I love that silicone tray!! You could fill it with coconut oil or pumpkin puree and make frozen treats until you use it for baking ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a flower shaped tray in the freezer doing that exact thing right now :) I will have to pick up some fall goodies to fill the tray with!

      Delete
  3. Wowzers! This is probably the best box I have ever seen! We love the PetSafe treats, they are so yummy! Great box and review, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great box! I'm pretty sure Barley will not be happy until I restock her PetSafe treat supply now :)

      Delete
  4. Oooh this looks amazing! I can see a fun Christmas present in some lucky pup's future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It would make a great holiday present!

      Delete
  5. That looks like a fun box. I like the variety of items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We liked the variety, too! Every time I thought I was done pulling stuff out of the box, more things appeared :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I love the tray, too. Now I just need to motivate myself to cook something to put in it :)

      Delete