Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Special Delivery

Friday was a big day with new things crossing our threshold. We got a Chewy.com package and a Pet Treater box for our upcoming reviews. We got a Snuffle Mat we won from our friends ZoePhee (it's a hit!).

We also got a new member of the family.


I grew up with two dogs and pretty much from the day I got Barley, I've dreamed about getting a second dog. When we lived in an apartment, that wasn't an option--there wasn't room and the lease didn't allow it. Ever since I bought my house, I've been thinking about it more seriously. One of the requirements when I was house-hunting was that there was room for two big crates.

Part of me hoped that foster pup Sal would become part of the family--I even picked out a new name for him--but it was immediately clear that he wasn't my dog. After Sal found his home, I was pretty sure that we would stay a single-dog home for a while--at least until summer vacation.

But then the shelter posted some Shar-Pei mix puppies on their Facebook page and I thought long and hard about going to meet them. They looked so much like one of my childhood dogs that I was pretty sure I needed one. Eventually, I decided none of those puppies would be quite the puppy I was looking for and I decided not to meet them.

The next week, though, they posted coonhound puppies and I love hound dogs. They wouldn't be available for a few days, so I had time to think about it. My mom said I was crazy. My friends said they loved puppies and wanted to have one to play with without having their own. My sister said they were cute and gave an enthusiastic yay when I told her I was going to meet them.

I went to the shelter and got there early, but there were already 9 other people in line ahead of me and only 4 puppies. I secured my spot in line and waited until the shelter opened. They let the first four approved applications in to meet the puppies, but said we could wait in case things didn't work out and then they'd move down the list. I decided that it wasn't meant to be and almost left, but I'd been talking to a woman outside who was looking for a cat and she encouraged me to come in and see which cat she ended up with. As we waited in the lobby, I saw a little dog in one of the crates.


The foster coordinator was reviewing applications at the front desk, so I asked her about the pup. She was an 8-month old puppy they had listed as a Border Collie Australian Shepherd mix. She'd been surrendered to the dog warden because her previous family couldn't take care of her any longer (they couldn't remember if it was because of an illness or financial issues), but they'd loved her and wanted the best for her.

I pet her through the cage. She licked me. I told the foster coordinator I wanted to change my application from the puppies to this little dog. Once they finished finalizing the puppy adoptions, it was my turn.

After writing a check and signing some papers, I had a puppy.

She doesn't quite have modeling down.

Like Sal, she has kennel cough, so she's in quarantine and hasn't met her big sister yet. We've already lined up training with her and Barley as soon as the quarantine period is over. I want to make sure that we do things right from the very beginning. Until then, we're back to splitting my time between the pets (it seems to be going more quickly this time--maybe I'm used to it) and spraying Lysol all over the place.


I struggled at coming up with a name for her--there were a couple varieties of hops I was considering and a literary name, but nothing felt right. My sister, her Aunt L (whose birthday is today!), came up with the name Rye. I thought about it for a few hours and the more I thought about it, the more right it was. 


She's also affectionally called my tiny terror--she's like a little tornado. Rye hops from one spot to the next, picking things up and dropping them off in new places just to start all over again somewhere new. 

She's never still. She's incredibly smart. She's terrible on leash. She's very small--only 27 pounds! The smallest dog I've ever had. The vet doesn't think she'll get much bigger than 30 pounds. 



We've started the relaxation protocol Barley and I did years ago and Rye's catching on quick. She's also easily distracted, so we've made no progress on loose leash walking because every time I get her attention a leaf blows by before the treat makes it to her mouth. We'll be starting some indoor work on that soon, but if anyone has harness recommendations, I'm considering that option for while we work on this and would love to know what's worked for you!

In about a week and a half, we'll start our training sessions with both dogs. Keep your fingers crossed that Barley loves her little sister half as much as I do. Our focus will probably be back to reactive dog training for the foreseeable future, so bear with us as we start this journey!

24 comments:

  1. She is adorable. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your new tiny terror. That is my nickname for Ptera, though she is much smaller at only 10 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm loving her so much--Rye is half the size of Barley, so she seems so small to me, but you definitely have the tinier terror :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations - I'm so excited for you! I love the story of how you ended up choosing Rye. I hope things go well when you introduce her and Barley, and look forward to hearing more about how things go. We had good luck with a gentle leader with our beagle Kobi.
    Rye looks like she might have some hound dog in her?
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We'll have to try the gentle leader--my parents have used one for years, but when I tried one with Barley, it made her worse and she started hiding under the table any time I got it out, so she didn't even want to go for a walk any more! Rye might do better with that, though--now I just have to get her to hold still long enough to measure her to see what size we need!

      I think Rye has some hound dog in her, too. The shelter was going off the paperwork the previous owners sent when they surrendered her, but she reminds me so much of my parents' hound mix in the face and the first thing the vet tech said when they came to take her back for her appointment yesterday was "The APL must have a lot of hound dogs right now!"

      Delete
    2. Luke didn't take to the gentle leader either, but I think I pushed him too fast with it. Hopefully if you take it slow, you'll have good luck with Rye!

      Delete
  3. She is adorable! Huge congratulations, and I love her name. She almost looks like a BC x Beagle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been doing Google image searches and there are definitely BC-Aussie-Beagle mixes that look very similar to her! Congratulations on your new addition, too--I can't wait to read more about her!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful. The very best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We will need all of the luck we can get :)

      Delete
  5. She's so cute!! Congratulations! I hope her kennel cough goes away soon and that Barley loves her! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The kennel cough is all cleared up so now we just have the Barley challenge :)

      Delete
  6. Yay! It was so much fun to meet her! Love my new little niece!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely loves her Aunt L, too!

      Delete
  7. Awww. Rye's beautiful! She looks so eager to be your best friend and love you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I missed these comments! Thank you! She's definitely a little love bug--a wild one, but a loving one :)

      Delete
  8. Rye is adorable! I love the story about how you came about bringing Rye home after having your heart set on a Coonhound puppy (I'm also a hound fan). Sounds like Rye found you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My pets have all seemed to have a way of finding me even if they weren't exactly what I thought I wanted :)

      Delete
  9. I love her. I love her name and I love how it goes with Barley. Barley and Rye. It's just SO perfect.

    As for the harness ( I know I'm way behind) we use the Freedom No Pull harness and it has helped a lot. Of course, once I catch up, I'm sure I'll discover that you've already conquered that obstacle.

    Congratulations on your new addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not conquered the loose leash walking yet, so that recommendation is definitely helpful! We've made progress, but there's still a long way to go, so I'm still thinking about a harness and we'll definitely look into that one! Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Just wanted to let you know that your entry was chosen as one of my favorites from the December 3, Blogger Showcase, in this weekend's Showcase :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to see what other posts were chosen--I love catching up on the ones I missed :)

      Delete
  11. Barley and Rye! LOVE that combo. Found your blog through the Blogger Showcase. Looks like a whole bunch of peeps loved your Rye baby. Best wishes as you train and love this little cutie. We love the Freedom No-Pull Harness. Adjustable, easy to put on, and super strong. Worked great with my rescued pup. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete