Thursday, December 1, 2016

Sid

The original Toy Story came out when I was in 5th grade. My family and I went to see Andy pack up all of his toys and move to a new house just days before we did the same thing. I've always loved that movie, but the character of Sid--the little boy who mutilates toys and reattaches their body parts onto other toys--has always been deeply disturbing to me. 

For years, I have bragged that I got the good dog. Barley has never destroyed a toy. We still have the very first toy I ever bought her almost 6 years ago. It has a few stitched spots where it started to come apart at the seams and despite being washed, it's a gross color now, but otherwise it's perfect. She's very gentle. I've teased my sister about how her dog reminds me of Sid. All of my nephew dog's toys are missing limbs. 

I can't tease her anymore. Rye is the new Sid.


This puppy always has to be chewing on something. All. Day. Long. Thankfully, she's very good about only chewing on dog things, but the dog things are not going to last long at this rate.

This guy lost an ear and a tail.

This football is holding up well so far.

I've tried to find durable toys, but they do not make Rye-proof toys. She loves Benebones, but I worry about her chewing on hard things like that for too long. I might just be paranoid since Barley's gums bleed every time she uses hard chews and she hates non-edible chews anyway, so I'm not used to seeing a dog chew on them for long.


She uses her back teeth like little saws. She takes the edge, or an ear, or a tail, or a leg of a toy and just grinds her teeth back and forth until part of it comes off. I can hear her teeth scraping and it makes me cringe. 

In a matter of minutes, I have to go and pull body parts out of her mouth. I collected quite a collection of tail tips, wings, and ears on the coffee table while my sister and I watched the new episodes of Gilmore Girls last weekend. One day, I went to campus and went to pull my office keys out of my pocket and pulled out the tail of her Thanksgiving turkey toy that I'd fished out of her mouth and shoved in there to keep her from following me to the trash can and trying to pull it out. 


Most of the parts she's pulled off haven't left gaping holes, but I've had to stitch up a few where stuffing started oozing out. 

We've been working on a new command, "give it," so Rye easily gives me the toys when she starts to destroy them. I've also been trying to give her chews or a more durable ball when I start hearing the teeth grinding instead of letting her keep chewing on the plush toys, so maybe one day when she realizes that chewing means the toys go away, she'll stop destroying them--but I think I might have my very own little Sid.

Do your dogs destroy toys? Have you trained them to be gentle with their toys?

12 comments:

  1. Most of our toys lasted forever. Katie did ruin a few playing tug a war, but that was acceptable. Enter Bailie. She ruined toys that were from Mom's previous dog. She was a ripper and still is. There doesn't seem to be anything to stop her. Toys aren't so bad, but she still has a love of destroying pillows and beds. That gets expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully Rye hasn't attacked any beds. She did rip part of the tag off of her bed--which I'd been meaning to cut off myself anyway--but other than that, her destruction stops at dog (and the occasional cat) toys. Tug is the only way Barley's accidentally hurt her toys, too. Sometimes we play a little too hard for tails to stay attached :) But those are easy to sew back on!

      Delete
  2. We have definitely been in sync the last couple of days! One thing you might try are some of the Zogoflex toys from West Paw Design. The Air version is softer and giving, and Luke and Sheba both love to just chew, chew, chew on the smaller balls. Not that it stops them from still destroying the stuffies, but at least they get a break! :)
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen those at the store, but never actually touched one because Barley wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot pole. From looks, they look like they're similar to the red dog that she took an ear and tail from and an anchor that she tore the tip off of, but I am willing to try anything to preserve some of Barley's favorites! Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I know :( She makes Maddux look gentle! The rally monkey just lost an arm.

      Delete
  4. Mine destroy toys. I get no stuffing toys and keep them put away for supervised play only, haha. The only free choice toys are sturdy rubber, tennis balls and soccer balls, along with various chews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley and Soth aren't used to having to put their toys up all the time, so we're going to have to figure out something! Rye's also learning to climb things to get to them when I put them up high! This puppy is a handful!

      Delete
  5. Is she teething? We usually take our black kongs (empty) and freeze them for chewing youngsters. They are more durable than cloth toys. Not durable enough for Freighter though. We had to resort to antlers for him because of his chewing....lol. Thank goodness he got over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know--I have no idea how long puppies do those things! I know her puppy teeth are gone, but they way she gnaws on things, it does seem like she's trying to soothe her gums. I usually freeze her kong with yogurt in it and give it to her and she has a ton of chews, but it doesn't matter if I give her one of those in place of a stuffed one. She'll get up and find a new stuffed one (and Barley has a bin of them in every room of the house, so there are plenty to find!). I'm hoping we get over this, too!

      Delete
  6. I find that the puppy years, even if they are the most adorable times in a dog's life is also the most challenging. I've had my share of dogs who chewed almost half my furniture and entire collection of shoes and rugs and socks, oh my! I've been reading a lot and watching videos on behavior modification and positive reinforcements and wow, they do work! Also, giving our pets plenty of exercise and playtime have a great impact on behavior. It's true, most are just bored so they have nothing else to do but chew. For more useful tips, see this awesome link: http://dogsaholic.com/training/how-to-stop-a-dog-from-chewing.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, Rye doesn't usually chew things that don't belong to her, so I"m just having to learn that with Rye around I might always have fluff on the carpet.

      Delete