Friday, December 9, 2016

To My Heart Dog on Her 7th Birthday

Dear Barley,

You're not my first dog. Or even my second. You won't be my last dog. But you are my heart dog.


When we met, I thought I knew a lot about dogs. You proved me wrong. I knew nothing.

You've taught me that dogs need more than just food, water, shelter, and love. They need jobs and mental stimulation.

You've taught me that there's more to training a dog that sit, down, and shake.



You've taught me that not every dog likes other dogs--and that's ok.

You've taught me to find the beauty in winter.


You've taught me to notice things.


You've taught me how to prepare for your little sister and that cats and dogs don't have to fight.


Sometimes, I wish that we'd met each other earlier, that I'd had a chance to know you as a tiny puppy. But whatever happened in that first year before we met made you the dog you are. I wouldn't want you any other way.

You will always be my very best girl.


I love you more than zombies love brains. Happy birthday, baby girl.


10 comments:

  1. This is soooo sweet! Happy Happy 7th birthday! As the "Mom" of a dog who isn't thrilled about other dogs, I sooo understand! DakotasDen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are special dogs--even if they don't like other dogs :)

      Delete
  2. What a sweet letter! Happy Birthday, Barley! I think there is just something about dogs that need more that just makes us love them more. ♥
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Barley and I definitely had a connection that I've never had with another animal. I think we both needed each other.

      Delete
  3. Such a gorgeous letter! happy birthday, Barley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you and Nola enjoyed your day together, too :)

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday Barley. What a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete