Thursday, January 5, 2017

2016 Resolution Update

Without the FitDog Friday posts to keep us posting about our walking regularly, our updates on our mileage towards our yearly goal sort of disappeared. There were several times I thought about doing an update, but this was a tougher year of walking and it wasn't inspiring me to write about it, so July was the last time I gave an update!

We've set a mileage goal for the last four years--starting in 2013 with a goal to walk more miles each month than we did the month before--then 1000 miles total in 2014, 1100 in 2015, and another 1100 in 2016. The last two years, we met our goal in early December and exceeded it (by 59+ miles last year!). 

This year, we left for our holiday travels on Dec. 18 still needing 52 miles to meet our goals. For the first time, I was thinking that we might not meet our goal.

Thankfully, my parents and their dog Maz took a lot of strolls with us. Barley and I got in several walks on our own as well.


There were several days that I had 6+ miles of walking myself between walking Barley, walking Rye, and walking them together. On Dec. 30, Barley and I went with part of the family to the new park in my parents' town and finished our last 2.78 miles (plus a little extra) to meet our goal.

There's no one else I'd rather walk with.

It was a windy day, but the sky was beautiful and there weren't too many other people at the park,  so we had a peaceful walk.


We celebrated by trotting up the big dirt mound in the middle of the park. From the bottom where my mom was standing, you couldn't see the mountains behind the mound, but we had a great view of them from up high. 


I'm happy we met our goal, but I am a little disappointed we didn't get more miles in this year. Between moving, weather, travel, fostering Sal, adopting Rye, there just weren't enough hours in the day to get in all of the extra miles we usually do and that bums me out a bit.

For 2017, we've gone back to the 1000 mile goal we had a few years ago. While I suspect Rye will walk with us for a lot of those miles, I also want to be sure that both dogs get walks on their own, too,  since that's a big part of how we work on our training for reactivity, stays, and loose leash walking. Plus, walking Rye is about as far from relaxing as you can get, so I want to be sure Barley and I get in some nice, peaceful solo walks and Rye gets in the walks she needs to get some of the crazy out. 


That goal averages out to about 2.74 miles a day. As you can see, we're already a little behind on that. Between days of heavy rain and extreme cold, we've had shorter and fewer walks so far. At this point of the year, though, we just try to get out as much as possible and we'll worry about making up for it when spring gets here.

Last year, we didn't try out too many new parks or revisit too many we hadn't been to in a while, so this year, I'm also making a point to pick out a few of the trails in Doggin' Cleveland (side note: do not accidentally Google Dogging Cleveland instead--it does not bring up good trails to visit with dogs). There are a few that are close-ish that we haven't visited because they don't have too many miles worth of trails, but a change of scenery will be nice, especially with a slightly lower mileage goal to take off some of the pressure of needing to do long adventures every outing.

What are your goals or resolutions with your pet(s) this year?

8 comments:

  1. I don't really do goals and resolutions, because I feel like I always end up failing at them, and not following through. But I would like to make a list of hikes and beaches I would like to do, and try to get out and see more new places this year. I've already been doing great with that as far as snowshoeing goes this winter- I've been up three times so far this winter, and would like to make it up there a few more times per month while the snow sticks around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great idea! I've always wanted to try snowshoeing! I'm glad you've gotten out so much already this year.

      Delete
  2. Great job you two!!! Its good to have resolutions/goals set for a new year. It gives you more motivation to work on them! Hope you guys reach your goal eventually, but in the meantime enjoy your time! :)
    Thank you for sharing. Keep up the fun posts!
    Take care,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Having a goal really does help me keep walking even if there are days I'd rather just snuggle up under the covers.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on hitting your goal again! We always set goals for the new year, but they are attainable and reasonable. Good luck this year and with two dogs to walk, you will blow that new goal out of the water early I bet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fine line with us--if I set a goal too low, then I don't take it seriously because I have so much time to achieve it, so I needed something that would take most of the year so I can't slack off! I'm actually only counting miles that I walk with Barley (although Rye might be on some of those walks, too), so it will probably still take us until early Dec., but I'm definitely hoping that we exceed our goal this year!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on meeting your goal! You should give yourself a break - you had a lot going on this year, and being able to meet, even though not exceeding, your goal is pretty impressive.
    I miss the FitDog Fridays for the motivation they gave us too, not just for posting, but for actually getting out there moving!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just got so used to seeing our goal achieved earlier in the year that I felt like we were failing the entire month of December! But I am very happy that we were able to get our mileage in anyway. FitDog Fridays definitely made me want to go out and visit more trails since it gave us more interesting info to write about--I miss that!

      Delete