Sunday, February 26, 2017

Sleep Tight

From the moment Soth told me that he'd allow Barley to sleep in the bed, she has slept next to me every single night.

Some days, it's less comforting than others--like when I wake up and find her head on the pillow right next to mine, eyes wide open, watching me.


Most days, though, I'm grateful for her constant watch. For example, this morning I was in the middle of a vivid dream. Barley had already gotten up. I'd heard her bounce off the bed sometime earlier in the morning, but she was still in the room. In the dream, I was pulling into a gas station and doing all kinds of fancy maneuvers to get my car to a pump on the correct side of the car and as soon as I stopped and turned off the car, a man hopped into the backseat of my car and said, "Drive." Before my dream self even had time to freak out, Barley was barking and nudging my arm. 

Even when the scary things are in my dreams, Barley is watching out for me. And she's training Rye to keep an eye on me, too. It didn't take long for her to chime in with her big bark before she bounced on top of me and licked my face.

If we sit like this, we can keep an eye on both windows.

It's easy to sleep peacefully knowing I've got these two in the room with me even if I do have to fight for a space in the bed


14 comments:

  1. thats good that they take care of you as much as you take care of them,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. They have their sweet moments sometimes ;)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. This type of thing makes up for all of the chaos they create ;)

      Delete
  4. Bailie, Madison, and our two cats all sleep in bed with Mom. She loves it. Mom says from baby on, she always slept with lots of stuffed animals, so sleeping with real animals is just perfect for her. I prefer my own space in my own bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the summer, Barley gets up in the middle of the night and sleeps somewhere else--she hates to be warm!

      Delete
  5. I love this! I used to be afraid to be home alone without my hubby...until we got dogs. Now I might still be a tad nervous, but that's it. They make me feel so much safer. Luke can be a bit of a bed hog, but I'd still rather have him there than not. ♥
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley and I tried to work on a command to get her to go to the other side of the bed, but it never caught on--so I just lure her to the other side with a treat and run and jump in as quickly as I can! It is amazing how much safer a dog can make you feel.

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's a good idea...the treat. I'll have to put some in my night stand! He can be really stubborn about moving sometimes!

      Delete
    3. If I didn't have the treats by the bed, I would always have to sleep on the opposite side of the bed--or curl up at the foot of the bed if one of the other pets had the other pillow and that's just not happening ;)

      Delete