Monday, March 13, 2017

To My Youngest On Her First Birthday

Dear Rye,

You were not the dog I went to the shelter to meet (this seems to be a recurring theme in my life). But I knew from the moment I saw you in your crate in the shelter lobby that you were mine. It was love at first sight.


I had planned on a much younger dog. A more laid-back dog. A goofy dog. A dog that would balance out your sister's intensity. But you have fit into our family better than I ever dreamed you could.


I love the weird positions I find you sleeping in. It never fails to bring a smile to my face when I see you sprawled out or hiding under the bed in the crate. And I especially love when you curl up under the covers.





I love the weird faces you make when I pull out the camera. I hope you never lose your awkwardness. 


And I love the way your ears flip inside out all. the. time. 


I love how eager you are to learn new things. You're always excited when it's time to train--whether we're going over jumps, working on obedience, or working with your sister, you're always willing to work with me.




I love watching you gain confidence. I still don't totally understand why you hate nature or why you're scared of some for sale signs, particularly the ones for the realtor who sold me our house, and not others, but every time I see you start to relax in a new environment or look to me for a treat when you see something that scares you, it makes my heart happy. 



I know I've made mistakes in the 4 months you've been here. I haven't always been the patient trainer that you need. I don't always know how to communicate with you. At times, I've had unrealistic expectations for you and my heart has broken when I've seen you shut down because I've gotten frustrated. Thank you for always forgiving me. I'm trying to be better for you.

Your sister taught me that I knew nothing about dogs. You're teaching me that I still have a lot to learn. 


I love you, my tiny terror. I can't wait to see how our relationship grows. Happy birthday!

14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Rye!! This brought happy tears to my eyes...I'm so glad you found Rye and that she has become such an important part of your household. She fits in perfectly...she's come so far, and I know you will work through all your challenges with love! I especially love the photos of her and Barley looking like true sisters.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! I'm glad I found her, too! We've made so much progress lately now that I've accepted that she is a different kind of dog than Barley. We're actually starting to have fun on walks again!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Rye! She's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a good thing she's cute because she's a handful! ;)

      Delete
  3. She is such a cute little thing, and lucky to have you! Happy Birthday, Rye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad that she's a part of our family!

      Delete
  4. Aww, happy belated birthday, Rye. Such a darling - and those ears! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those ears kill me! They have a mind of their own :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday sweet girl, you sure are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is a cute little thing--even when she's at her naughtiest, she's still super adorable.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday Rye. She looks so sweet, not a terror at all. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! She is very sweet until about 9 a.m. and then a switch flips and she's wild the rest of the day.

      Delete
  7. Yay! Happiest birthday to my littlest niece! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is sad she didn't get to celebrate with you this weekend!

      Delete