Friday, April 7, 2017

A Weekend Getaway

My cousin had an April Fool's Day wedding last weekend. Since the date fell at the end of my spring break, I didn't think twice about whether I'd be able to make the 6-hour drive for the wedding and immediately started looking for places where I could take the girls along with me and have a bit of a vacation.

My go to site for finding dog-friendly places with lots of character is VRBO.com, so that's exactly where I started this time. We found a few places and tried booking a place in a strange little village that had a brewery as one of it's big attractions, but those plans fell through due to the owners selling the property and not being able to transfer our reservation. Rather than rebooking through the new owners and risking a new pet policy, I kept up the search and I'm so glad we did!

I found the Dutch Country Cottage near Morgantown, PA and as soon as I read that it was a stone farmhouse from the 1700s, I was sold. I called my parents, who were going to stay with us, and made sure they were ok with a change of locations and booked the cottage.

From the moment I pulled up in front of the house, I was ready to send for Soth and move in for good. In front of the house was a huge bell--which I couldn't resist ringing--and a well that looked perfect for making wishes!



The cottage sits on 9 acres of land with a beautiful backyard that was full of some sort of little purple flowers, woods, and farmland surrounding it. I was excited the girls could have a weekend to pretend they were real farm dogs.

The girls loved the backyard even if it rained too much to play in it much.

The inside of the house was filled with even more character than the outside of the house. There was a wood-burning stove in the living room that my dad started each morning. I spent some time drinking my coffee and grading papers (because even though we were in the middle of nowhere and the cottage had no tv, it had wifi, so I could work a little bit) in front of the stove while it rained all weekend.


There was an interesting spiral staircase inside--when I saw that, I was worried that Rye might not go upstairs since she's weird about stairs sometimes. Dogs were allowed to sleep on the bed as long as you brought your own blanket to put over the bed and I was afraid Rye would want to sleep downstairs in her crate and I'd have to sleep on the couch to keep her from crying. She loved the stairs, though, and had no trouble bounding up and down them.


I loved the colors in the kitchen with the robin's egg doors and the stone walls. There were bird feeders right outside the kitchen windows and we saw cardinals, woodpeckers, several tiny birds, and lots of squirrels.


The stone walls--which we think were the walls of the original structure with the kitchen being an add on--continued upstairs with beams on the ceiling and really cool doors into the bedroom and bathrooms. There were two bedrooms--one with one bed and one with two beds--and a huge bathroom between them.


Rye saw the tub and had no interest in getting close for a picture.

You could also order sticky buns from an Amish family down the street--this might have been one of the best parts of the visit. You also had the option to go to a traditional Amish dinner with the family, but we had plans for most nights between the rehearsal dinner and the wedding--and I am terrible at small talk, so as much as I would have enjoyed the food, we opted out of that. The cottage also was stocked with homemade bread and chocolate chip cookies as well as fresh milk and eggs when we arrived.


Another great feature of the property was a trail behind the house. It was a short little trail, but we could spend about 20 minutes just enjoying the sights and smells. 







There was also a nice, long driveway that was lined with daffodils (which sadly were trampled by the rain, so I didn't get pictures) that was a nice way to extend the walk. On our first day, when we got to the bottom, an Amish horse and buggy was driving by. The girls were so interested in that! Rye was good and sat when I asked her, though. Barley refused to sit, but she was quiet and just watched--instead of barking her fool head off like she does when we see them at home.


We had a wonderful visit and can't wait to visit the cottage again. There were plenty of trails we wanted to explore but didn't get a chance to because of the rain and the wedding activities, so we definitely plan to go back some day. Rye had a little adventure of her own and we also visited a nearby State Park, but those are stories for another day.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful little place! I just love that bathtub. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, too! The whole bathroom was beautiful--I didn't get a picture of the washstand because we had toothbrushes and stuff all over it the whole visit and I was too scattered when we were leaving to remember to do that, but it was beautiful, too.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome place and such a nice little getaway! You always manage to find the nicest vacation spots - exactly the type I would choose.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the perfect getaway! If I didn't have to worry about paying bills and needing a job, I'd pick up and move in today ;)

      Delete
  3. What a cool place. I would love to stay in a place like that. I wonder if the kitchen was completely separate at one time?

    ReplyDelete