Monday, May 22, 2017

Attack of the Canadian Soldiers

This weekend, we were attacked by Canadian Soldiers--known in the rest of the world as mayflies. These nasty little bugs come out when the lake starts warming up and they swarm for a few days. They are completely harmless. They don't carry diseases. They don't bite. They are indicators of lake health and feed all of the fish in the lake. But they are disgusting.

Mayflies are attracted to light, so they have been swarming around my back door at night when I let the girls out.



The girls fly out of the door when they go out, so usually only a few get in then. Rye, though, takes her sweet time coming back in when I call her and the mayflies took that as an open invitation to come inside. One night, Rye even stood at the bottom of the stairs grabbing mouthfuls of them out of the air while the rest of them made their way inside.

Since mayflies only real job is to reproduce, they have very short lifespans once they reach adulthood. They also need flat surfaces to hang out on, so they spend a lot of time on walls and cars. Our neighborhood also has a lot of spiders--which I'm sure are loving this feast--so my whole yard and car look like props for a haunted house right now.

The worst, though, was the sight I woke up to after a night of Rye insisting she needed to go out several times during the night. 

This is my kitchen ceiling.

Thankfully, they sweep right off with the broom, but that doesn't make it any less disgusting. Rye also has a knack for stirring them up out of long grass and bushes on our walks. I have swallowed more than one. Every time we come back inside, I feel like they are in my hair.

These swarms only last a few days at the beginning of the summer and again in the fall, but it always feels like weeks. We will not be sad to see them start disappearing soon.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yuck! They are disgusting! I think I would turn off all the lights, wait a few minutes and then let the dogs out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are gross! Unfortunately, once they settle in some place, they don't leave even if the lights go out--they just stay there until something (like Rye) stirs them up again.

      Delete
  2. All bugs are gross no matter how harmless they are! LOL. I'm glad these are not around too long for you. We have some in the summer that really like to get in the house, I don't know what they are, but they seem harmless. I still would prefer they'd stay outside though!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were gone when we got back from our road trip but all of the research that said they came for a few days in the beginning of summer and a few days in the fall lied and they are back now! Blech.

      Delete
  3. You are right they are disgusting! You sure ended up with a lot inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame Rye for that--she took her sweet time trying to gobble them up out of the sky when I was trying to get her in and if you close the door, she'll turn around and go back into the yard to play ;)

      Delete