Thursday, June 8, 2017

Roadtripping with Barley and Rye--Utica, NY

Several months ago, my sister said that she wanted to run in a race in Vermont over Memorial Day weekend. As a big beer fan, I've always thought Vermont sounded like a great place to visit. I'd also seen pictures of beautiful hikes in Vermont on blogs back in the FitDog Friday days, so I told her if she wanted to run, the girls and I would go play with her for the weekend. 

Barley is well versed in roadtripping after a trip to Massachusetts a few years ago, a day trip to Niagara Falls, and many, many trips south to visit her grandparents. Rye has only taken a road trip to her her grandparents' house and back and the short road trip to the magical farmhouse we stayed in a couple months ago. I was excited for our first real vacation together. 

Since my sister was supposed to get into Burlington early afternoon on Friday, the girls and I left on Thursday with plans to drive part way so we could get there around the same time. I'd reserved a room at a Red Roof Inn in Utica, NY--about a 5 hour drive from our house and another 4 hours to the apartment we were renting. I'd planned to stop and check our a state park or two on the way, but it rained almost the entire drive, so we just drove straight through. We got to Utica around 6 p.m. and part of me wanted to keep driving and get more of the drive out of the way, but I wasn't sure what the pet-friendly accommodations would be like if we kept going, so we went ahead and checked in to our room.

The rain had stopped, so we unpacked the car and then headed off to one of the local parks that I'd researched, F. T. Proctor Park.



The park was beautiful with some wooded trails as well as a loop around a large field. We did a couple loops and got in 2.18 miles. Despite the dreariness of the evening, there were still several groups of people out walking and we did a few U-turns to avoid having to cross paths with some excited small dogs, but the girls were thrilled to be out of the car.


We swung by Moe's and picked up a quesadilla to take back to the room after our walk and that's when the real roadtrip fun began. The Cavs were playing the semi-finals, so I sprawled in front of the tv and dove into my chips and queso. Rye, however, dove into guard dog duty.


Unlike Barley, Rye has no apartment living experience, so she took it upon herself to alert me every time there was a noise from the other side of the wall or the parking lot. She positioned herself in front of the door and didn't budge.

In the morning, I got out of bed and then she promptly snuggled up on my pillow. Somehow even with a king-sized bed, there wasn't room for me.


Once people started waking up and getting in their cars around 5:30 a.m., Rye decided it was definitely time for us to get up. Despite my best efforts to convince her to snuggle until the bagel shop at the end of the parking lot opened, she growled every time there was a noise outside and didn't let me go back to sleep. We took our time gathering our things and then set off for our final destination.

Stay tuned for our next post on how things went once we got to Vermont! 

10 comments:

  1. We all did the same thing our first night in a hotel, but it was short lived and after than, no problems. I think the noises bother Mom more than us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the moment I realized that Rye could never be an apartment dog and it was a good thing I didn't meet her until after I'd bought my house :) Even at home, I can't sleep with the windows open because Rye barks at any little noise she hears, so I don't know that she'll outgrow this one. I'm glad you girls all did because it was not a particularly restful night for any of us!

      Delete
  2. It was wise of you to keep your reservations. Sometimes there are no other hotels that take dogs, and you end up driving a lot further than you intended to.

    Oh Rye, isn't that cute? But I bet you didn't think so at 5:30 am...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I figured--I'm used to 13-hour drives from going to my parents' house, but I didn't want to do the whole 9 hours and then have to sleep in the car, too. Although, my sister slept in an airport the next night, so we probably would have been more equally matched in our energy if I'd slept in the car ;)

      Delete
  3. King size beds are not nearly as big as you think they should be when you add two dogs to them!
    That park looked beautiful! I'm glad the rain stopped and you were able to get a nice walk in.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a full-size bed at home, so you'd think that we'd all be able to fit in something so much bigger! The park was beautiful--even in dreary weather it was pretty, so I can only imagine how it would be in nice weather!

      Delete
  4. Haha I think Rye is part Chessie. Our dogs always do that when we stay at a hotel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that she would be proud to be an honorary Chessie!

      Delete
  5. Maddux is a pro at the Red Roof inn because of Crawlin' Crab. He could have taught her a thing or two ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will have to talk next time they see each other. She needs some help.

      Delete