Saturday, July 1, 2017

Adventures with Rye

When Rye and I were in a Saturday morning obedience class, we went on an adventure every week after class unless it was cold and rainy. Rye is not very confident in nature unless Barley is with her--and even then, she's not very sure she likes it--but we did find one park in our post-obedience adventures that Rye loves. Now that we're in a late-night agility class, we haven't had any solo adventures in almost 2 months! 

Rye and I have gone on some solo neighborhood walks, but we hadn't been anywhere fun since obedience class ended. For my mileage goal of 1000 miles for the year, only walks with Barley count so between rain and warmer weather, it can be hard to find the extra time to get Rye out by herself for a good adventure.

On Tuesday morning, I woke up and it was in the 50s (is it really July today?). When I checked the forecast, it wasn't supposed to get out of the 60s all day, so I decided it was the perfect day for Rye and I to adventure.

Rye was so happy as soon as we pulled into the parking lot at her park. 

Look at that loose leash!

This park has a sculpture garden, so we spent a little time reviewing sit-stays and working on some balance work in the sculpture garden.


Why does my puppy have such a disproportionately long tongue? 

She's getting better at this modeling thing.




My original plan was to take Rye down to the beach to let her play a little bit. The lake is a lot higher than usual, so when we got to the stairs to the beach it was clear there wasn't much beach to play on. Since it was chilly, I was wearing jeans and spending the rest of the afternoon in wet jeans didn't sound like a good plan to me, so we settled for just watching the waves for a few minutes. 



Barley and I used to visit this park a lot, but it wasn't until Rye and I went that we discovered a little nook with a cool curved bench and a little stream. It's green and shady and cool, so we took a little break there. 



On our way back to the car, we even found a couple treasures and they were painted as dogs, so it was perfect! 



Our fun adventures didn't stop there. We stopped by a new pet store that opened in town where Rye got to pick out a new toy and a new toy for Barley and for Soth. They had a few kittens up for adoption and Rye wasn't sure what to make of them. I don't know if it was because she'd never seen a cat that small or if it was because they weren't her cat, but she couldn't decide if she should hide from them or growl at them. She settled for a combination of both.

We ended our adventure with a stop at Tractor Supply Company where Rye made a new friend.


It was so fun to have a few hours of fun with my sweet potato Rye. She's really come a long way with  her obedience, focus, and confidence when she's out on her own and I'm so enjoying her company.

16 comments:

  1. Those unexpected treats are the best. And our furbabies' enthusiasm is contagious. Thank you for linking up to the Showcase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will definitely take any unexpected cool days we can get this summer. Neither of my girls can work up much enthusiasm when it's hot out ;)

      Delete
  2. Rye truly has come a long way...it's so great to see you both having so much fun and looking so happy!
    Jan & the crew, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so fun to see her blossom. Somehow 6 months with her has flown by and she's a whole new pup!

      Delete
  3. My first visit to your blog has been rewarded with sweet pictures of a happy pup! Rye is adorable! Glad she's coming along so well with her obedience, focus, and confidence! I have some work to do with Ducky on her focus but she's fast asleep right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Fast asleep is not ever on Rye's schedule--that pup is always ready for action, so we have plenty of hours for working on focus ;)

      Delete
  4. Love those sculptures, they are really fun! It's great to get one on one time when you have fur siblings. We get a lot of it and each of us cherish that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Both girls have their one-on-one time for class and get solo neighborhood walks before the other one goes to class, but it had been a long time since Rye and I had gone on an adventure just the two of us.

      Delete
  5. Rye is becoming an excellent model. And I loved seeing her balancing on some of those sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still plenty of pictures where she looks like a total weirdo! But we are getting enough good ones that I can pretend those don't exist ;)

      Delete
  6. Aw, so glad you got to have a fun adventure with little Rye! Can't wait to see her soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's excited to practice her balancing skills on you soon, too.

      Delete
  7. I think she's doing fantastic! I'm impressed that she is sitting (and staying) so well while you take photos!

    Thanks for joining the linky party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has come a long way with the sitting and staying for photos! She got the sit and stay thing down pretty quickly, but then as soon as a camera would come out, she'd lose her mind.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a great time! This is a reminder that my dogs and I really need to get out on more adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lot of fun! My older dog and I adventure a lot on our own and Rye sometimes comes with us, but Rye doesn't get nearly enough solo adventures, so this was an especially good day :)

      Delete