Saturday, October 7, 2017

Like Cats and Dogs

This week, my Facebook memories reminded me that two years ago I'd shared a video about a cheetah who'd been hand raised after it wasn't thriving with its mother in the zoo and the caretakers got it a lab puppy to be a friend and help it be confident. The two little critters romped and played and snuggled together. Little did I know that a little over a year after sharing that video, I'd have a similar friendship in my own house.

When I decided to get Rye, I didn't worry too much about Soth. Soth has made it clear that he rules the house. He's not afraid of Barley. He's not afraid of my parents' dog, my sister's dog, or my brother's dog and doesn't hesitate to put them in their places if they upset him. Foster Pup Sal was terrified of Soth--sometimes even refusing to come back inside if Soth was sitting in the doorway. 

There was a cat in the kennel right next to Rye with only a few inches between them at the shelter and Rye paid no attention to him, so I wasn't worried about her being aggressive towards Soth. I just didn't think about Soth much at all in the decision. Most of my thoughts were on Barley and whether she'd let me keep Rye. That journey was stressful and fantastic and heartwarming.

What's happened with Rye and Soth, though, has been beautiful.




Almost every night, they go up to bed before I am ready to go up and they wait at the top of the stairs for me. Usually, as I climb the stairs, Soth rubs against Rye or sniffs her toes. Then I get out the camera because they're so ridiculously cute that I can hardly stand it.



Eventually, they both flop down and give me that "I can't believe you're taking pictures" look until I decide I've gotten enough and we all go up to bed.


Soth was Rye's first friend since she wasn't loose with Barley for almost two months when I brought her home. They have played together--chasing each other up and down the stairs, play swatting each other, stealing each other's toys--since day one. They watch squirrels and birds together from the back storm door. But my very favorite moments are these peaceful ones at the end of the day when I can see just how comfortable they really are with each other.

20 comments:

  1. How totally adorable. Ptera and Theodore Trex (my cat) play together, even wrestling full out, which is about the most adorable thing ever. They are roughly the same size, so I don't worry that they might accidentally hurt each other, and neither has ever ended up with the slightest scratch from the other (and if the cat didn't want to be played with, I guarantee there would be some marks on the dog!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! That's is so cute! Rye and Soth occasionally wrestle together (or Soth springs out from under something and swats at her and Rye looks confused and bounces around), but Rye has about 20 pounds on Soth, so I monitor that really closely. She's gotten a claw to the nose once, but it didn't take her long to realize that kitties can hurt ;)

      Delete
  2. These photos just melt my heart! While we've had cats and dogs get along in our household, we've never had any that had quite such a close relationship. I love it, and what an extra special surprise to get when bringing Rye into your home. ♥
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful surprise! If I would have known Soth would like a puppy so much, I might have gotten one a long time ago!

      Delete
  3. Loved this story and now, when we hear the humans talking about those things called dogs we won’t get our whiskers in such a twist anymore. Anyway, there are a lot more of us!
    Purrs & Head Bonks,
    Oliver, The Tribe of Five

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you kitties could definitely keep a dog in line!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful story! I can't imagine a better feeling than knowing you've given your furbaby a life-long friend. We adopted Ellie a few months ago - and though he won't admit it, I think Bear enjoys having a play mate. When he was a kitten - he tried so desperately to play with my 15 year old cat at the time and it didn't go so well. He's almost 12 now - but it makes me feel good to see that he's not entirely reliant on me for love and entertainment. Thank you for linking up to the Showcase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Soth wants me to advertise to anyone that he enjoys having Rye in his life, either! I'm glad that Bear and Ellie have settled in so well together, too!

      Delete
  5. That is ridiculously cute. It's wonderful that you have such love in your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are almost too cute for me to handle when they get like this :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, they have found peace and friendship and a love for each other that is so very special. What a joy it must be to see these things and share with them. I wonder what folks across the world seem to lack, and can we bottle it to save us all?
    Toodle pip and purrs
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would definitely be nice if we could bottle this for humans! The world definitely needs a little more peace and friendship these days.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you! They definitely have their sweet moments.

      Delete
  8. Cat/dog friendships are wonderful. Mom has had some with her pets over the years. Our cat bro Bert hangs out a lot with us dogs and also has no fear. Sophie doesn't like dogs much and keeps more to herself, but she is not afraid of us. Rye and Soth are adorable together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat bro Bert definitely seems to know how to hang with the dogs! It is so fun to see cats and dogs getting along so well.

      Delete
  9. I love when dogs and cats have that special bond. My aunt and uncle had a cat that used to clean the dog's ears. It was the most precious thing to watch. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rye is the one who is always grooming Soth! It's so weird--the longer I have her, the more I think she's part kitty herself :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Me, too! Maybe one day you'll be here to witness the peaceful moments with Rye ;)

      Delete